Friday, May 22 About
AmericaStrikes
iran middle east

Iran Eases Hormuz Blockade as Talks Signals Emerge

Iran's Revolutionary Guards are allowing more ships through the Strait of Hormuz, state TV reported, the first partial easing since the blockade began after US-Israeli strikes.

Iran Eases Hormuz Blockade as Talks Signals Emerge
Photo: United States Central Intelligence Agency Cartography Center / Wikimedia Commons · Public domain
By Mariam Khalil Iran and Middle East correspondent · Published · 4 min read

Iran’s Revolutionary Guards are allowing more vessels to pass through the Strait of Hormuz, state television reported Friday — the first sign of a partial easing since the waterway was effectively blocked following US-Israeli strikes on February 28. The development coincides with a flurry of diplomatic signals suggesting both Washington and Tehran are leaving space for renewed nuclear negotiations.

State TV said more vessels could now navigate the critical waterway. The report gave no figure for how many ships were being permitted through or what categories of cargo would be allowed. The strait carries roughly one-fifth of the world’s seaborne oil, and its closure since late February has rattled energy markets and supply chains across Asia and Europe.

Diplomacy Moves in Both Directions

The Hormuz development arrived alongside several other signals on Friday that pointed — cautiously — toward de-escalation.

Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran had received messages from Washington indicating the Trump administration is open to continuing nuclear talks. Araghchi acknowledged contradictory signals from the US side but said Iran “remains open to diplomacy under acceptable conditions.” He did not specify what those conditions were or what channel the messages had come through.

President Trump, speaking separately Friday, said he is weighing lifting sanctions on Chinese companies that purchase Iranian oil, adding he would decide “soon.” Trump also said he is open to Iran suspending its nuclear program for 20 years if the commitment is genuine — a formulation that departs from his earlier demand for full dismantlement of the program.

Those remarks come days after Trump sent what his administration described as a final warning to Tehran. His public ultimatum earlier this week threatened overwhelming military force if Iran did not accept a deal, while simultaneously leaving the door open to negotiations. The dual-track pressure-and-diplomacy approach has characterized the administration’s posture since the February strikes.

Vice President Vance indicated last week that talks had made measurable progress on certain procedural questions, though a verification gap — how to confirm Iranian compliance with any suspension — remains the central unresolved issue.

BRICS Fractures on Iran

International consensus around the conflict continued to fray Friday as BRICS diplomats meeting in New Delhi failed to produce a joint statement on the Iran war. India, which holds the rotating chair, released only a chair’s summary rather than a consensus communique — a procedural signal of the deep divisions among bloc members.

Iran used the forum to level a direct accusation against the United Arab Emirates, claiming the UAE had been involved in military operations against Iranian forces. The UAE has not publicly responded to the allegation. The accusation, if substantiated, would significantly complicate Gulf diplomacy at a moment when several regional states have been quietly pressing for a negotiated off-ramp.

China’s position remains pivotal. Beijing signed an energy and security cooperation framework with Tehran prior to the February strikes and has continued importing Iranian crude despite US pressure. Xi Jinping pledged at last week’s summit with Trump that China would not supply additional arms to Iran, though the pledge stopped well short of endorsing US sanctions enforcement. Trump’s suggestion Friday that he may lift sanctions on Chinese buyers of Iranian oil could be read as an inducement to Beijing to stay on the sidelines of any military escalation.

Economic Pressure Mounts

The economic cost of the blockade has become increasingly concrete. India’s state-owned refiners raised gasoline and diesel prices by more than 3 percent Friday — the first fuel price hike in four years — as the global crude price surge driven by Hormuz disruption pushed refining margins into the red. India is among the world’s largest oil importers and has historically relied heavily on discounted Iranian and Russian crude to buffer its energy costs.

The Indian price adjustment illustrates the downstream pressure that has been building on governments across Asia since the blockade began. Japan and South Korea have drawn down strategic petroleum reserves. Several Southeast Asian nations have rationed industrial fuel allocations. European diesel prices have risen more than 40 percent since late February, contributing to a broader inflation rebound that has complicated central bank policy across the eurozone.

A partial reopening of the strait — even limited to certain vessel categories — would provide measurable relief to oil markets, which closed Thursday with Brent crude near $134 per barrel. Analysts have cautioned that any easing could be reversed quickly and that Iranian state television’s announcement does not constitute a formal change in IRGC posture.

What the Partial Easing Means

The announcement through state television rather than an official IRGC or Foreign Ministry statement is notable. It preserves Iran’s ability to reverse course without a formal policy climbdown and allows Tehran to gauge international reaction before committing to a broader opening.

The timing — on a Friday, as Trump was making public comments about sanctions relief and the possibility of a 20-year nuclear suspension — suggests the two sides may be coordinating signals even in the absence of direct talks. Whether that amounts to a genuine de-escalation trajectory or a tactical pause ahead of a harder negotiating position is unclear.

Trump warned earlier this week that his patience with Iran’s nuclear posture was running out and that military options remained on the table. The administration has not commented publicly on the state television report about Hormuz.

Shipping industry groups said Friday they had not yet received guidance from maritime risk insurers about whether the partial easing would qualify for reduced war-risk premiums, which have been a significant cost factor for tanker operators since February. Until insurers signal a formal change in the threat assessment, most commercial operators are expected to maintain current routing practices around the strait.

Subscribe

The Daily Strike

One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.

No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.