Friday, May 22 About
AmericaStrikes
iran middle east

Khamenei Orders Iran's 60% Uranium to Stay in Country

Iran's supreme leader directs that roughly 200 kg of near-weapons-grade uranium remain inside Iran, gutting a core US demand in the Qatar-Pakistan talks framework.

Khamenei Orders Iran's 60% Uranium to Stay in Country
Photo: Steve Jurvetson from Los Altos, USA / Wikimedia Commons · CC BY 2.0
By Mariam Khalil Iran and Middle East correspondent · Published · 4 min read

Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei has ordered that the country’s roughly 200 kilograms of 60%-enriched uranium remain inside Iran, according to a report Wednesday in The Jerusalem Post. The directive reverses a position Tehran signaled before this spring’s strikes and removes — at least for now — one of Washington’s core demands in the Qatar-Pakistan negotiation framework.

Iranian officials cited to the paper told reporters the stockpile would not be transferred abroad under any current proposal, with several openly arguing that surrendering the material would invite a second round of US and Israeli strikes rather than prevent one. That reasoning — that compliance is the trigger, not the cure — is the through-line of the Iranian negotiating posture this week.

The 60% figure matters. Civilian power reactors run on uranium enriched to roughly 3–5%. Research reactors top out near 20%. The 60% level Iran has been holding since 2021 is a short technical step from the ~90% used in weapons; the International Atomic Energy Agency has repeatedly described stockpiles at that purity as having no credible civilian use. Two hundred kilograms is, by widely cited IAEA-derived estimates, enough feedstock for several devices if further enriched.

Why the timing is everything

The order lands in the middle of the most fragile week of the post-strike diplomatic cycle. The administration has been pushing a 30-day letter of intent originally drafted by Qatari and Pakistani mediators, with the uranium transfer treated in Washington as the load-bearing concession. Axios reported Tuesday that a Trump-Netanyahu phone call over the framework turned tense, with the Israeli prime minister pushing to resume strikes and the president telling him he “will do whatever I want him to do.” Khamenei’s directive arrived hours later.

Inside Iran, the timing tracks with the Supreme National Security Council’s final-stage review of the US proposal and the hardening line on the Strait of Hormuz that has accompanied it. Tehran has used the review window to publicly relitigate every concession it had earlier hinted at — first the strait, now the stockpile.

The military pressure track has not paused

While the diplomatic track narrows, the military track is widening. The Washington Post reported Tuesday that US Marines from the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit boarded the Iranian-flagged tanker Celestial Sea in the Gulf of Oman over the weekend, the most direct enforcement action since the administration declared its April 13 blockade of Iranian crude exports. CENTCOM told the Post that 91 vessels have been redirected away from sanctioned routes since the blockade began.

In parallel, Army Times reported Monday that CENTCOM commander Adm. Brad Cooper and Joint Chiefs Chairman Gen. Dan Caine have briefed the White House on what officials described as a “short and powerful” strike plan, and that the president came within “an hour” of authorizing it last week before Gulf allies — Qatar, the UAE and Saudi Arabia — pulled him back. That plan is reportedly still on the desk.

The combined picture from the boarding, the briefing and Khamenei’s order is that both sides are tightening their public floors at the same time. Tehran is locking in the stockpile and the strait. Washington is locking in the blockade and the option to strike.

What it does to the framework

The Qatar-Pakistan letter of intent was designed around three reciprocal moves: a verifiable transfer of the 60% stockpile out of Iran, a phased pause in US enforcement actions, and a 30-day negotiating window for a broader settlement. Removing the first leg does not formally kill the document, but it forces mediators to rewrite the centerpiece — either substituting a third-country in-Iran sealed-storage arrangement under IAEA cameras, or accepting a less verifiable freeze-in-place.

Both substitutes are harder sells in Washington. A sealed-storage arrangement leaves the material on Iranian soil and recoverable on a timeline measured in weeks. A freeze-in-place is what the JCPOA tried, and it is the structure US officials have spent two years arguing failed.

The administration has not publicly responded to Khamenei’s directive as of this writing. Israeli officials, who were already pushing for the strike option over the negotiation track, are likely to read the order as confirmation that the diplomatic path is closing.

Markets and the wider cycle

Crude markets have so far absorbed the diplomatic friction with less drama than the headlines might suggest. Goldman Sachs analysts told clients this week that traders are treating roughly $81 a barrel for Brent as a soft floor on Hormuz risk, a level that has held through the boarding and the strike-plan reporting. StanChart’s read on US commercial crude inventories and SPR draws suggests the domestic buffer for any escalation shock is thinner than at any point in the past two years.

The broader diplomatic chessboard has also shifted. Vladimir Putin and Xi Jinping met in Beijing on Tuesday, with Iran framed in the readouts as a “juncture” issue rather than a flashpoint, and a draft UN resolution on Hormuz freedom of navigation collected backing from 137 countries — a number large enough to give Tehran political cover to argue it is the party being squeezed.

What to watch next 48 hours

Three specific items will tell the story. First, whether IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi makes a public statement on the stockpile order; the agency has been the quiet pivot of every prior off-ramp. Second, whether the Qatar-Pakistan mediators table a revised text that drops the transfer requirement or holds the original line. Third, whether the boarding operations in the Gulf of Oman continue at the current cadence or accelerate — CENTCOM’s tempo has been the most reliable real-time signal of where the administration’s patience actually sits.

Khamenei’s order is not, by itself, the end of the talks. It is the moment at which the talks stop being about whether Iran will give up the material and start being about whether Washington will accept that it will not.

Subscribe

The Daily Strike

One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.

No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.