Friday, May 22 About
AmericaStrikes
iran middle east

IAEA's Grossi Tells UNSC Barakah Strike Is 'Grave Concern'

IAEA Director-General Rafael Grossi briefed the UN Security Council on Tuesday on the May 17 drone strike at the UAE's Barakah nuclear plant, calling the situation one of grave concern.

IAEA's Grossi Tells UNSC Barakah Strike Is 'Grave Concern'
Photo: IAEA Imagebank / Wikimedia Commons · CC BY 2.0
By Mariam Khalil Iran and Middle East correspondent · Published · 4 min read

International Atomic Energy Agency Director-General Rafael Grossi briefed the United Nations Security Council on Tuesday on the situation at the United Arab Emirates’ Barakah nuclear power plant following Sunday’s drone strike, telling members the agency views the incident as one of “grave concern” and warning of the risks posed by attacks in proximity to operating civilian reactors.

The closed-door briefing, requested by council members earlier this week, formally elevates the May 17 attack from a regional security incident into a matter under active UN safeguards review. It is the first time the Security Council has taken up a strike on a Gulf Cooperation Council nuclear facility, and it places the Barakah plant — until last weekend a showcase project for peaceful nuclear energy in the Arab world — alongside Zaporizhzhia in Ukraine as a live case study in protecting civilian reactors during armed conflict.

What changed at the UN

Grossi’s appearance shifts the diplomatic frame around the strike. Until Tuesday, the Barakah incident had been handled bilaterally: Abu Dhabi publicly attributed the drone attack to Iran within 48 hours, Saudi Arabia rallied behind the UAE on Hormuz security, and Tehran warned Abu Dhabi that “patience has limits” over what it characterizes as the UAE’s tightening ties with Israel.

A UNSC briefing changes the audience. The IAEA’s mandate covers nuclear safety and safeguards, not attribution or sanctions, but the director-general’s appearance on the council floor signals to all five permanent members — the United States, United Kingdom, France, Russia and China — that the agency considers the radiological risk profile of the conflict to have crossed a threshold. None of those five governments has yet publicly endorsed a Council response, but each is now formally on notice.

The strike and what is known

The Sunday strike targeted infrastructure near the Barakah complex on the Gulf coast west of Abu Dhabi, igniting fires that were brought under control before they reached the reactor containment structures, according to UAE authorities cited in our initial coverage of the incident. The Emirates Nuclear Energy Corporation, which operates the four-unit Korean-built plant, said reactor operations were not disrupted and that no abnormal radiation readings were detected at the site or its perimeter monitoring stations.

Grossi told the council that IAEA inspectors had been in contact with ENEC and with the UAE’s Federal Authority for Nuclear Regulation since the night of the strike, and that the agency was prepared to deploy additional personnel if requested. He reiterated the “seven indispensable pillars” of nuclear safety the agency developed during the Zaporizhzhia crisis — among them the physical integrity of facilities, secure off-site power and unimpeded staff rotation — and said all of them are now “at heightened risk” across the Gulf so long as kinetic strikes continue in the vicinity of nuclear sites.

The agency has not publicly attributed the strike. Attribution is outside the IAEA’s remit, and Grossi has historically declined to assign blame in similar cases, including at Zaporizhzhia. UAE officials have not retracted their attribution to Iran; Tehran continues to deny involvement.

The safeguards toolkit

The IAEA’s formal options in cases of attacks on civilian nuclear facilities are narrower than its political profile suggests. The agency can:

  • Convene an emergency Board of Governors session. The 35-member board can pass a resolution condemning attacks on safeguarded facilities and demanding access. Such resolutions are political signals; they do not carry sanctions power.
  • Deploy a continuous presence mission. The model used at Zaporizhzhia since 2022 places IAEA staff on-site to monitor conditions, deter further strikes through international visibility and provide independent reporting back to member states.
  • Refer matters to the Security Council. Under its statute, the agency reports non-compliance and threats to international peace and security to the UNSC. Grossi’s Tuesday briefing is the soft form of that channel; a formal referral would be the hard form.
  • Issue technical safety guidance. The agency can publish operating recommendations for plants in conflict zones, including fuel-handling protocols and reactor shutdown criteria, which become reference documents for regulators worldwide.

None of those tools stops a drone. What they do is build the legal and diplomatic record that constrains future strikes — and that record now includes Barakah.

What to watch

Several markers will indicate how seriously the P5 governments treat the Barakah file.

A Board of Governors resolution would be the cleanest near-term signal. The board’s next regular session is scheduled for June, but emergency sessions can be called on shorter notice if any member state requests one and a quorum agrees. A resolution that names Iran would mark a significant Western diplomatic push; one that simply condemns “attacks on civilian nuclear facilities” without attribution would signal that Russia and China are blocking a sharper text.

UNSC follow-up is the second marker. The Tuesday briefing was informational; a presidential statement or draft resolution would be substantive. France and the UK have historically led on nuclear-safeguards language at the council. Russia has shielded Iran from past censure votes. China’s position on Gulf nuclear infrastructure — given its growing energy and investment exposure across the GCC — is the variable to watch.

The third marker is congressional. The US Senate on May 19 advanced a war-powers resolution aimed at curbing the Trump administration’s authority to conduct further military action against Iran without authorization. A formal UN-level finding of risk at a Gulf nuclear plant cuts both ways in that debate: some will cite it as evidence Iran’s regional posture has escalated; others will cite it as evidence the conflict risks expanding to critical infrastructure and must be contained.

Grossi closed his Tuesday remarks, according to readouts from member-state delegations, with a request that the council take “all necessary steps” to ensure no further strikes occur near nuclear facilities anywhere in the region. The agency, he said, would continue to brief the council “as the situation evolves.”

Subscribe

The Daily Strike

One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.

No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.