Friday, May 22 About
AmericaStrikes
iran middle east

Iran Declares Hormuz Authorisation Zone Hours After Trump Cites 'Final Stages'

Tehran's Persian Gulf Strait Authority published map coordinates for a controlled maritime zone requiring transit authorisation, hours after the US president said talks were in final stages.

Iran Declares Hormuz Authorisation Zone Hours After Trump Cites 'Final Stages'
Photo: ImanFakhri / Wikimedia Commons · CC BY-SA 4.0
By Mariam Khalil Iran and Middle East correspondent · Published · 4 min read

Iran’s newly stood-up Persian Gulf Strait Authority announced Wednesday evening the creation of a “controlled maritime zone” covering the Strait of Hormuz, requiring vessels to obtain authorisation from Tehran before transiting one of the world’s most heavily trafficked oil chokepoints. The declaration, reported by Middle East Eye at 21:27 GMT, landed roughly two hours after US President Donald Trump told reporters that talks with Iran were “in final stages.”

The two statements, read together, frame the diplomatic and operational gap that has defined the Hormuz standoff for the past month: Washington signaling progress at the negotiating table while Tehran continues to harden the legal and physical architecture of control over the strait.

The Strait Authority, the regulatory body Tehran established two days ago, published map coordinates defining the zone. The eastern entrance runs from Kuh-e Mubarak on Iran’s southern coast to a point south of Fujairah in the United Arab Emirates. The western entrance runs from Qeshm Island, Iran’s largest Gulf island, to Umm al-Quwain on the UAE coast. Together those two lines enclose the entire navigable width of the strait, including the internationally recognised Traffic Separation Scheme that has governed commercial transit since 1979.

Iran’s announcement does not, on its face, close the strait. It establishes a permission regime. Under the framework released Wednesday, masters of vessels approaching either entrance are expected to request authorisation from the Strait Authority before proceeding. The authority has not yet published the technical procedure for filing those requests, the response window operators should expect, or the penalty schedule for non-compliance.

Trump’s comments earlier in the day, also carried by Middle East Eye, described the negotiating track as advanced and said an agreement to “end the war” was close. Iranian officials responded that any deal would require the United States to end what Tehran calls “piracy” in regional waters. That framing is a direct reference to the US Marine boarding party that took control of an Iranian-flagged tanker in the Gulf of Oman Wednesday morning, an operation Washington has cast as sanctions enforcement and Tehran has cast as an act of war.

The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps had set the table earlier in the day. In a statement carried by Iranian state media, the IRGC said it had “permitted” 26 vessels to cross the strait in the previous 24 hours, breaking the figure down into oil tankers, container ships and bulk carriers. The claim is not independently verifiable, and the IRGC did not name the vessels or their flag states. What the statement does establish is the operational concept Tehran intends to project: every transit is, in Iranian framing, a permission granted rather than a right exercised under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea.

The practical effect for shipowners is ambiguous, and ambiguity is part of the design. Major operators have already taken defensive measures independent of Wednesday’s announcement. As of earlier this week, 88 vessels had been diverted or rerouted from Hormuz routings, with several carriers suspending transit altogether or shifting cargo to overland Saudi and Emirati pipelines feeding Red Sea and Indian Ocean terminals. The Strait Authority’s permission regime adds a layer of legal and reputational risk on top of the physical risk that already had insurers repricing war coverage.

Markets had moved the other way earlier in the day. Brent crude fell roughly 5 percent to $105.70 on Trump’s “final stages” comments, the largest single-session decline since the standoff began. That move priced in a meaningful probability of de-escalation. Wednesday evening’s declaration from the Strait Authority arrived after the US session close and is likely to face its first market test when Asian trading opens. Energy desks contacted for prior reporting have flagged that the gap between political signaling and operational reality is the single most important risk variable in the current cycle.

The longer-tail stakes go beyond the oil tape. The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization warned Wednesday that a sustained closure or constriction of Hormuz traffic could trigger a systemic global food price shock within six to twelve months. The mechanism is straightforward: fertiliser feedstocks, bunker fuel for the global shipping fleet, and grain shipments routed through Gulf ports all sit downstream of the strait. The FAO did not put a probability on the scenario but cited the current diversion rate as already exceeding the threshold its models use for “early warning.”

The Strait Authority’s announcement also complicates the diplomatic geometry around the Gulf states themselves. The eastern and western boundary points Tehran has drawn touch UAE territory in two places. Abu Dhabi has not yet responded publicly. Saudi Arabia, Qatar and Kuwait have remained quiet on the specific declaration, although the broader regional posture was reset last week when Trump reportedly halted a planned strike package at the request of Gulf capitals concerned about retaliation on their own infrastructure.

What is known tonight is narrow. Iran has published coordinates. The IRGC says it is already running a permission process. Trump says a deal is close. Tehran says a deal requires Washington to stop boarding its ships. The next signals to watch are the procedural details the Strait Authority has not yet released, the first Asian-session move in Brent and freight rates, and whether the UAE responds to the boundary points drawn on its coast.

Subscribe

The Daily Strike

One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.

No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.