US Says 88 Commercial Vessels Diverted From Strait of Hormuz
US officials say 88 commercial vessels have been redirected away from the Strait of Hormuz amid the US-Iran cycle, as crude reroutes around Africa and freight rates climb.
Eighty-eight commercial vessels have been redirected away from the Strait of Hormuz since the US-Iran cycle escalated, US officials said Tuesday, marking the first hard tally Washington has put on the rerouting that has reshaped global crude flows over the past month, Middle East Monitor reported. The figure quantifies a shift markets had already been pricing: tankers and dry bulk carriers that would normally transit the world’s most important oil chokepoint are now sailing around Africa or sitting outside the Gulf entirely.
The 88-vessel count, attributed to US officials, covers ships that planned to transit the strait but elected not to, either turning around before reaching the Gulf of Oman approaches or diverting to alternative routes mid-voyage. It does not include Iranian-flagged tankers stranded inside the Gulf by the US naval cordon, a separate population that has driven Iran’s floating crude stockpile up roughly 65 percent since the blockade began in mid-April. The two numbers describe opposite sides of the same chokepoint: cargoes that cannot leave the Gulf, and cargoes that will no longer enter it.
The long way around
Crude that would normally move from the Persian Gulf to European and US refiners in two to three weeks is now sailing around the Cape of Good Hope, MarketWatch reported Tuesday, adding roughly two weeks of voyage time and a corresponding hit to freight rates and insurance premiums. Buyers in Europe and Asia have been scrambling to plug the supply hole with West African, Brazilian and US Gulf Coast barrels, the report said, even as those grades trade at progressively wider premiums to the Middle Eastern crude they are displacing.
The rerouting math is brutal for shippers. A very large crude carrier that loads at Ras Tanura and would normally deliver to Rotterdam via Suez in about 20 days now needs roughly 36 days via the Cape. That extra time ties up vessel capacity, pushes time-charter rates higher, and forces refiners to either build inventory ahead or accept feedstock gaps. The 88-vessel diversion figure is the visible part of a freight-market dislocation that is also showing up in war-risk insurance quotes for the few hulls still willing to transit.
Who is still going through
The strait is not closed. Bloomberg vessel-tracking data, summarized by OilPrice last week, showed at least 19 non-Iranian oil and LPG carriers had both entered and exited the Persian Gulf since March 1, even as daily Hormuz traffic dropped toward a near-halt. The carriers still moving are predominantly Saudi, Emirati and Qatari hulls with established US-acknowledged paperwork — vessels operating under arrangements detailed in earlier reporting on the Fifth Fleet’s role at the chokepoint.
That selective traffic is what makes the 88-vessel diversion number meaningful rather than a total-blockade headline. The strait is functioning as a controlled corridor: Washington and its Gulf partners are moving the cargoes they want moved, while operators without the right flag, the right charterer or the right insurance are voting with their rudders and going around.
Asia is pricing the next disruption
The diversion figure landed the same week Japan and South Korea moved to deepen joint crude procurement and emergency-stock coordination, an arrangement aimed less at the current pause than at the next disruption. Both economies remain among the most Hormuz-exposed buyers in the world, and the rerouting tally validates the thesis their refiners have been operating on for weeks: the chokepoint is not reliably available, and term contracts need to be written as if it might close.
Iran has tried to convert that uncertainty into leverage. Tehran moved earlier this week to establish a “Hormuz Strait Authority” claiming regulatory jurisdiction over transits, a step the US and the Gulf Cooperation Council have rejected but one that adds another layer of paperwork risk for any operator weighing the strait against the Cape route.
The wider US posture
The diversion numbers come as Washington is also rebalancing forces elsewhere. NATO’s supreme allied commander, Army Gen. Christopher Donahue, said Tuesday that further US troop withdrawals from Europe are expected, Defense News reported, with the Pentagon under pressure to free up forces for the Indo-Pacific and the Gulf. Donahue did not tie the European drawdown to the Iran cycle directly, but the manpower question — where the carrier strike groups, the destroyer escorts and the maritime patrol aircraft enforcing the Hormuz cordon are sourced from — is the same calculation.
On the diplomatic track, President Trump said Tuesday that Chinese President Xi Jinping had assured him Beijing would not send weapons to Iran, Al Jazeera reported, a claim that, if it holds, removes one of the more dangerous escalation paths. China remains the residual buyer of last resort for the Iranian crude now stuck in floating storage, and any Beijing decision to backstop Tehran militarily — rather than just commercially — would change the risk picture for every hull still considering a Hormuz transit.
What to watch
The next read on the rerouting question is whether the 88-vessel figure grows or stabilizes over the coming week. A continued climb signals that even the current US-Iran pause is not enough to restore operator confidence in the strait — that the war-risk premium has migrated from oil prices, where it has been draining, into freight and insurance markets, where it is harder to see but more durable. A plateau suggests the diversion is a working equilibrium: Gulf producers move what they can through the corridor, everyone else takes the long way, and the world absorbs the freight bill until the politics change.
The hard question underneath both scenarios is whether the strait remains transitable at all if the cycle re-escalates. The 88 vessels that diverted this month did so under a US-led control arrangement the Iranian government is publicly contesting but not physically challenging. A flagged-ally tanker tested at the strait, or an Israeli action that pulls Washington back into a strike posture, moves the question from “how many ships are going around” to “is anything going through.” That is the line the next two weeks of diplomacy, and the next two weeks of vessel-tracking data, will draw.
The Daily Strike
One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.
No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.


