Trump Warns Iran His Patience Is Running Out, Xi Summit Yields No Deal
Trump said he will not be "much more patient" with Iran as his Beijing summit with Xi Jinping ended without binding commitments on the Hormuz blockade, raising pressure for a negotiated deal.
President Donald Trump warned Thursday that he does not have much patience left with Iran, calling for a negotiated deal as his summit with Chinese President Xi Jinping concluded without producing binding commitments to reopen the Strait of Hormuz — leaving the core diplomatic puzzle unsolved even as military pressure on Tehran continued to mount.
Trump’s statement, issued as his Beijing visit wound down, sharpened the tone the administration has maintained throughout the Hormuz crisis. He did not specify what actions he would take or on what timeline, but the warning came against a backdrop of active military options being reviewed and a U.S. bombing campaign that commanders say has already degraded Iran’s defenses significantly.
Xi Summit Ends Without Binding Agreement
The Beijing summit produced alignment in language but not in obligation. Xi expressed support for a ceasefire and the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz, and Trump said his Chinese counterpart “feels very similar” on the need to resolve the standoff. But no binding agreement emerged from the talks, and no enforcement mechanism was announced.
A U.S. Trade Representative confirmed that Chinese officials made clear they want the Hormuz Strait open without restrictions — a position aligned with Beijing’s economic interests in stable energy flows. China’s emergence as a potential diplomatic broker introduces leverage Washington lacks, given Beijing’s sustained relationship with Tehran. Whether that leverage will be applied, and under what terms Iran might accept a return to open passage, remains undefined.
The outcome echoes the pattern flagged earlier in the week. As Vice President Vance acknowledged, the gap between U.S. demands and Iranian willingness on verification remains the central obstacle to any durable agreement. Xi’s expressions of goodwill at the summit did not close that gap.
For context on what the two leaders agreed — and what they did not — at the start of the Beijing visit, see Xi Pledges No Arms to Iran, Backs Hormuz Opening in Trump Summit.
Military Pressure Intensifies
While diplomats talked in Beijing, the military picture hardened in Washington. Admiral Brad Cooper testified before the Senate that the U.S. bombing campaign has severely degraded Iran’s military capabilities and defense infrastructure. Lawmakers on the committee challenged elements of his assessment, pressing for specifics on what had been destroyed and what remained intact.
Cooper’s testimony did not include a timeline for when Iran’s remaining capabilities might be neutralized, and senators questioned whether the administration had a clear endgame. The hearing added to pressure on the White House to define what a successful outcome looks like — deal, capitulation, or continued attrition.
Separately, Israeli and U.S. military officials have held meetings to discuss options for additional strikes on Iran. No decision has been announced, but the consultations signal that a second round of military action remains on the table even as diplomatic channels stay open. Iran has not stood down its military posture. ISW reported earlier this week that IRGC exercises near missile sites indicate Tehran is maintaining an active deterrent posture.
Economic Cost Compounds
The diplomatic standstill has a daily economic price. India has lost more than 40 percent of its crude oil flows since the strait closure began, with domestic fuel prices climbing as the country scrambles to find alternative suppliers. India is the world’s third-largest oil importer, and its exposure to Hormuz-routed crude is among the highest of any major economy.
The pressure is not limited to Asia. Global strategic and commercial reserves have been drawn down heavily to compensate for restricted Hormuz flows, a pace that analysts have described as unsustainable over a multi-month horizon. Every day the strait remains closed compresses the window for a negotiated solution before the supply crunch forces more disruptive adjustments.
Where Things Stand
Trump’s patience warning, Xi’s non-binding expressions of support, and the active review of military options together define the current moment: maximum pressure applied through multiple channels, no agreement in sight and an escalation ladder that still has rungs available.
The administration has maintained that it prefers a deal. Trump’s statement Thursday made clear that preference has limits. Whether Iran reads that signal as an opening for negotiation or as pressure to harden its position will shape the next phase of a crisis that shows no sign of resolution on its own.
Diplomatic talks continue on multiple tracks. Lebanon-Israel ceasefire negotiations opened in Washington this week, a parallel process that reflects how broadly the current regional conflict has spread — and how many threads the administration is trying to manage simultaneously.
The Daily Strike
One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.
No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.


