Friday, May 22 About
AmericaStrikes
diplomacy

Xi Pledges No Arms to Iran, Backs Hormuz Opening in Trump Summit

Trump says Xi Jinping promised not to arm Iran and offered to help reopen the Strait of Hormuz, with the White House confirming a first joint US-China position on the blockade.

Xi Pledges No Arms to Iran, Backs Hormuz Opening in Trump Summit
Photo: The White House from Washington, DC / Wikimedia Commons · Public domain
By David Mitchell Diplomacy correspondent · Published · 4 min read

President Donald Trump said Thursday that Chinese President Xi Jinping has pledged not to supply weapons to Iran and offered to assist in reopening the Strait of Hormuz, a significant diplomatic development that the White House separately confirmed as the first on-record joint US-China position on the blockade that has choked global energy markets for weeks.

Trump made the announcement on Fox News following the first day of bilateral talks in Beijing, saying Xi gave him a personal commitment to stay out of the Iran conflict and to work toward restoring free passage through the strait. The White House confirmed that the two leaders formally agreed on “the need for Hormuz to remain open for the free flow of energy” — language that marks a notable break from China’s months-long silence on the blockade.

What Trump and Xi Said

Trump, speaking from Beijing, described the conversations as productive and said Xi assured him that China would not arm the Iranian government as the military standoff over the strait continues. Trump did not specify what, if any, assurances or concessions the United States offered in return.

Both leaders cast the relationship in deliberately stable terms. According to Al Jazeera, Xi framed the US-China relationship as “constructive, strategic and stable” — a formulation that signals Beijing’s interest in preventing the Iran conflict from becoming a secondary front in great-power competition.

The joint Hormuz statement, even stripped of enforcement detail, represents a diplomatic threshold. No formal US-China coordination on the blockade had been publicly acknowledged before Thursday.

Chinese Vessels in the Strait

The diplomatic picture was complicated by events on the ground hours before the announcement. Al Jazeera reported that Chinese commercial vessels transited the Strait of Hormuz on the eve of the summit, passing through the contested waterway while US Central Command enforcement operations were active.

Whether those transits occurred with Washington’s knowledge, or were among the vessels intercepted or redirected, was not immediately clear. CENTCOM did not comment directly on the Chinese traffic. The timing underscored the gap between diplomatic signaling and operational reality.

CENTCOM Enforcement Tally

US Central Command has been enforcing a blockade posture around the strait since Iran moved to restrict access. Middle East Eye reported that CENTCOM has redirected 70 commercial vessels and disabled 4 others since the blockade began. The operation involves a mix of naval escorts, warning communications, and — in at least four cases — direct vessel interdiction.

The scope of the enforcement reflects the scale of the disruption. The Strait of Hormuz is the chokepoint for roughly 20 percent of global oil trade. Its sustained restriction has rippled through energy markets, reserve drawdowns, and regional production.

Energy Markets Under Pressure

The oil supply picture has deteriorated materially during the blockade. The International Energy Agency warned this week that 4 million barrels per day are being drawn from global strategic and commercial reserves to compensate for disrupted Hormuz flows. Reserve drawdowns at that pace are not sustainable beyond a matter of months without triggering structural supply deficits.

Saudi Arabia, the world’s largest oil exporter and a country whose own export routes run partly through the region, reported that April crude production fell to its lowest level since 1990 as the disruption compressed output and export capacity. The figure represents a generation-spanning low that underscores how severely the blockade has affected even non-Iranian Gulf producers.

For additional context on the reserve drawdown and IEA projections, see IEA and OPEC warn of accelerating oil inventory crisis.

What China’s Commitment Does and Does Not Cover

The pledge as reported has two components: no arms to Iran and assistance with reopening the strait. Both require scrutiny.

On arms, China has not been publicly confirmed as a weapons supplier to Iran during the current conflict, though US officials have previously alleged Chinese dual-use technology transfers. Xi’s pledge, if kept, would close off a potential escalation path but does not speak to existing transfers or non-weapons support.

On Hormuz, “offering to help” is not a commitment to act. Beijing has diplomatic and economic relationships with Tehran that Washington lacks, which gives China theoretical leverage. Whether Xi has or will use that leverage — and what opening the strait would require Iran to accept — remains entirely undefined.

The absence of a mechanism for enforcement or verification mirrors a pattern seen in nuclear talks. As Vice President Vance acknowledged earlier this week, bridging the verification gap between US demands and Iranian willingness remains the central obstacle to any durable agreement on Iran’s military posture.

Diplomatic Context

The Trump-Xi summit comes against the backdrop of sustained US pressure on Iran across military, economic, and diplomatic channels. Iran has used the Hormuz blockade as leverage, granting passage selectively and attempting to seize vessels while nominally cooperating with US naval operations — a pattern that has made the waterway’s status ambiguous in practice even as it remains contested in principle.

China’s emergence as a potential broker introduces a new variable. Beijing has maintained relations with Tehran throughout the conflict and has economic interests in stable energy flows — interests that align, at least partially, with the US and Saudi goal of reopening the strait.

Whether Thursday’s announcement translates into concrete Chinese diplomatic action toward Iran will be the test of what Xi’s pledge is worth. That answer is unlikely to come quickly, and the markets, the reserves, and the 70 vessels already redirected by CENTCOM will not wait indefinitely for it.

Subscribe

The Daily Strike

One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.

No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.