Friday, May 22 About
AmericaStrikes
iran middle east
Analysis

Vance Says Iran Talks Progressing, but No One Can Verify Iran's Nukes

VP Vance claims diplomatic progress on a ceasefire deal while the IAEA has lost all visibility into Iran's 440-kilogram enriched uranium stockpile since February strikes.

Vance Says Iran Talks Progressing, but No One Can Verify Iran's Nukes
Photo: IAEA Imagebank / Wikimedia Commons · CC BY 2.0
By Mariam Khalil Iran and Middle East correspondent · Published · 5 min read

Vice President J.D. Vance declared on May 14 that the United States is “making progress” in ceasefire talks with Iran, while insisting that preventing Tehran from acquiring nuclear weapons remains the administration’s non-negotiable red line. The optimistic framing arrived the same day the International Atomic Energy Agency confirmed it cannot verify the current size or location of Iran’s enriched uranium stockpile — a verification gap that sits at the center of any serious deal.

The contradiction is not incidental. It is the defining problem of the current diplomatic moment: Washington is negotiating over a nuclear program it can no longer see.

What Vance Said

Speaking after consultations with Steve Witkoff — Trump’s envoy — as well as Jared Kushner and contacts across the Arab world, Vance offered the clearest public signal yet that the administration believes a framework deal remains reachable. He described the red line in simple terms: “He needs to feel confident that we put a number of protections in place” to ensure Iran never acquires nuclear weapons.

What those protections would look like in practice, Vance did not specify. The remark lands against a backdrop of public diplomatic turbulence: President Trump previously branded Iran’s ceasefire counterproposal “garbage” and “totally unacceptable,” and described the broader ceasefire as being on “massive life support.” Vance’s language on May 14 is measurably softer — an intentional recalibration or a shift in the underlying facts, it is not yet clear which.

The IAEA’s Visibility Problem

The harder problem is that any verification regime the administration might demand is currently impossible to construct, because the baseline no longer exists.

According to the IAEA, Iran has not permitted inspectors access to nuclear facilities damaged during the February 28 strikes. The agency’s report, circulated February 27, states plainly that it “cannot verify whether Iran has suspended all enrichment-related activities” and cannot determine “the size of Iran’s uranium stockpile at the affected nuclear facilities.” Under normal safeguards procedures, highly enriched uranium is verified monthly. The IAEA now describes itself as having lost “continuity of knowledge” about stockpile composition and location.

The last confirmed figure was 440.9 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60 percent purity — just below the 90 percent weapons-grade threshold. IAEA Director Rafael Grossi has warned that this quantity could, in theory, yield material for approximately 10 nuclear devices. Whether that stockpile is intact, reduced, dispersed, or moved deeper underground is now unknown to the outside world.

Iran’s justification, offered in a February 2 letter, is that normal safeguards have become “legally untenable and materially impracticable” given the ongoing military campaign. The IAEA is reduced to commercial satellite imagery, observing vehicle activity near storage tunnels without the ability to confirm what those vehicles are carrying.

Why This Gap Matters for Any Deal

Any ceasefire agreement with a credible nuclear component requires three things the current situation makes difficult: a verified baseline (what Iran has now), agreed limits going forward, and inspection access to confirm compliance. The IAEA’s admission strips out the first requirement entirely.

This is not an abstract technical concern. It was the central lesson of the JCPOA negotiations: inspectors needed access before the deal to know what Iran was declaring, and continuous access afterward to confirm limits were being observed. The Obama-era deal took years to negotiate in part because establishing that baseline was genuinely hard even when Iran was cooperating. The current situation, with cooperation absent and facilities potentially damaged or relocated, is considerably more difficult.

The ISW assessment published earlier today on Iran’s missile capacity reinforces the point: the Iranian military has retained meaningful operational capability despite the February strikes. A deal that freezes enrichment on paper but cannot be verified does not constrain the program — it only creates political cover for both sides to declare progress.

The Diplomatic Perimeter

The verification gap does not exist in isolation. Several parallel dynamics are shaping the negotiating environment.

The Senate War Powers vote failed 49-50 — the seventh such attempt and the closest yet, with Alaska Senator Lisa Murkowski becoming the third Republican to defect. The vote does not constrain the administration’s immediate military options, but the pattern of growing Senate opposition creates political pressure to show diplomatic results, giving Iran modest additional leverage in any talks.

In New Delhi, Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi is attending the BRICS foreign ministers meeting, using the platform to call the US-Israel campaign “unlawful aggression” and pressing member states to issue a formal condemnation. The BRICS bloc is divided — India walked a careful line between its relationships with both Tehran and Washington, and China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi is absent, occupied with the Trump-Xi summit in Beijing. The New Delhi session is unlikely to produce a sharp condemnation, but Araghchi’s presence there signals Iran’s strategy: building a multilateral legitimacy narrative in parallel with bilateral talks, rather than instead of them.

The Beijing summit adds its own layer of complexity. Xi Jinping opened Day 1 by emphasizing shared interests over differences, and Trump called Xi a “great leader” — the temperature is warmer than it has been. Iran is one of three items on the summit agenda, alongside trade and technology. China has consistently opposed the US-Israel strikes on Iranian territory and has positioned itself as a potential guarantor or interlocutor in any deal. Whether that positioning gives it productive leverage or simply complicates the US negotiating posture is a question that will likely not resolve during this summit.

The Core Analytical Problem

Vance’s claim of “progress” may be accurate on its own terms. Back-channel communications may be more substantive than the public record shows. The fact that Trump has not ordered Operation Sledgehammer — the contingency planning described in earlier reporting — suggests the administration genuinely prefers a negotiated outcome.

But “progress in talks” and “a verifiable deal” are not the same thing. The IAEA’s loss of continuity of knowledge is not a bureaucratic footnote — it is a structural hole in the architecture of any agreement. Vance’s red line (“never acquires nuclear weapons”) requires a verification mechanism. A verification mechanism requires inspector access. Inspector access requires Iran’s cooperation. Iran has not cooperated since February.

Until that chain is reestablished, the most honest description of the current situation is not “progress toward a deal” but “progress toward a conversation about what a deal might contain.” That is not nothing. But it is considerably less than Vance’s framing implies, and the IAEA’s candor deserves to sit alongside the administration’s optimism in any clear-eyed assessment of where this stands.


Recommended reading: The Iran Wars by Jay Solomon | No Good Options by Dennis Ross | Countdown to Zero Day by Kim Zetter

Subscribe

The Daily Strike

One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.

No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.