Friday, May 22 About
AmericaStrikes
iran middle east

Bahrain Arrests 41 IRGC-Linked Suspects as Ceasefire Holds

Bahrain detained 41 individuals tied to Iran's IRGC while Washington awaits Tehran's formal response to a U.S.-drafted ceasefire memorandum of understanding.

Bahrain Arrests 41 IRGC-Linked Suspects as Ceasefire Holds
Photo: Martin Falbisoner / Wikimedia Commons · CC BY-SA 4.0
By Mariam Khalil Iran and Middle East correspondent · Published · 4 min read

Bahraini security forces arrested 41 individuals with alleged ties to Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps on Saturday, the kingdom announced, as a fragile ceasefire held across the Gulf and Washington pressed Tehran for a formal written response to a proposed memorandum of understanding meant to end the conflict.

The arrests, disclosed by Bahrain’s Interior Ministry, represent the largest single counterterrorism sweep the kingdom has publicly attributed to IRGC networks since the current crisis began. Officials did not specify the charges but said the detainees were suspected of conducting surveillance operations and logistics support for Iranian-directed cells inside Bahrain, according to ABC News.

MOU Deadline Passes Without Answer

Secretary of State Marco Rubio said on Thursday that Washington expected Tehran’s formal reply to the U.S.-drafted MOU by the end of Friday, May 8, transmitted through Pakistani mediators. Friday closed without a conclusive answer. Iranian officials confirmed receipt of the document but said no final position had been reached, according to CNBC.

President Trump, speaking to reporters before departing the White House, said Iranian leaders “have not yet paid a big enough price,” declining to rule out resumed strikes if negotiations stall. The remark came hours after Rubio had publicly framed the window as closing rapidly.

Iran’s 14-point counter-proposal, circulated this week, called for a 30-day cessation of hostilities, immediate lifting of the U.S. naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz, unfreezing of Iranian sovereign assets, reparations for infrastructure damage, removal of all new sanctions, and establishment of a permanent Hormuz navigation mechanism under a multilateral framework. Washington has not publicly accepted or rejected any of the 14 points.

For background on the gap between the two sides’ framing, see the earlier analysis Iran’s MOU response: nuclear framing gap widens.

UAE Intercepts Missiles and Drones

The ceasefire’s fragility was underscored Friday when the United Arab Emirates reported that its air defense batteries engaged two Iranian ballistic missiles and three drones over UAE territory on May 8, wounding three civilians, according to The National UAE. The UAE government said it has formed a formal committee to document Iranian acts of aggression for submission to international legal bodies, a step that carries implications for future liability proceedings and potential referrals to the International Court of Justice.

The intercepts occurred during the same period that both Washington and Tehran were publicly signaling openness to a negotiated pause, illustrating how ground-level operations have continued to run independent of diplomatic messaging from capitals.

Blockade Economics Tighten

U.S. Central Command data published Friday shows more than 70 commercial tankers currently stranded in the Gulf region, with approximately 166 million barrels of Iranian crude — valued at roughly $13 billion at current market prices — locked and unable to transit the Strait of Hormuz, according to Fox News reporting on CENTCOM figures.

The U.S. Navy has been enforcing the blockade through a combination of surface assets and aerial surveillance. Earlier this week, Navy forces disabled the Iranian-flagged tankers Sea Star and Sevda in separate operations; details are covered in the earlier report U.S. Navy disables Iranian tankers Sea Star and Sevda.

The stranded tonnage figure has become a point of leverage in the MOU talks. Iran’s 14-point counter-proposal explicitly tied any agreement to a simultaneous and verifiable lift of the naval blockade on Day 1, rather than a phased drawdown as the U.S. draft reportedly proposed.

Sanctions Escalation Continues in Parallel

The Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Control imposed new designations on ten Iranian weapons-procurement entities Friday, targeting networks active in China and Belarus, in what officials characterized as complementary pressure running alongside rather than against the diplomatic track. The full scope of those designations is detailed in OFAC sanctions Iran weapons-procurement networks in China and Belarus.

The simultaneous escalation of sanctions while diplomatic channels remain open reflects the administration’s stated dual-track strategy: increase costs while leaving a door available. Critics from both sides of the aisle have questioned whether layering new designations during an active negotiation undercuts the credibility of any deal.

Iranian Parliament Remains Opposed

Iran’s parliament, which passed a resolution earlier this week opposing any agreement that does not include full sanctions removal and nuclear program protections, has not moderated its position. Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei has not made a public statement directly endorsing or rejecting the MOU process, though state media has described the counter-proposal as reflecting “red lines” that are non-negotiable.

Rubio’s earlier ultimatum and the parliament’s rejection are covered in Rubio’s Iran MOU deadline; parliament rejects terms.

What Comes Next

U.S. officials have not publicly set a new deadline following the Friday non-answer. Pakistani Foreign Ministry officials said their mediation channel remains active and that talks are continuing. A senior Gulf diplomat, speaking without attribution, told regional media that a response was expected within 48 to 72 hours of Friday’s close, though no U.S. official has confirmed that timeline.

The ceasefire, such as it is, has held in the sense that no major new U.S. or Israeli strikes have been reported since the pause was declared. The UAE intercept episode, Bahrain’s IRGC sweep, and continued tanker detention suggest the underlying conflict has not paused — only its most visible kinetic dimension.

Whether Tehran’s formal MOU answer, when it arrives, will provide a basis for actual negotiations or collapse the diplomatic track entirely will determine whether the current pause extends into something more durable or whether the Gulf returns to open hostilities in the days ahead.

Subscribe

The Daily Strike

One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.

No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.