US Navy Strikes Disable Two Iranian Tankers in Gulf of Oman
CENTCOM released video of precision strikes crippling the M/T Sea Star III and M/T Sevda near the Strait of Hormuz; Iran condemned the action as a ceasefire violation.
US naval forces fired precision strikes that disabled two Iranian-flagged tankers — the M/T Sea Star III and the M/T Sevda — as the vessels attempted to breach a US naval blockade of Iranian ports in the Gulf of Oman, US Central Command announced May 8, according to NPR.
CENTCOM released video footage of the strikes, which targeted the smokestack systems of both vessels. The approach — disabling propulsion and power rather than sinking the ships — reflects a calibrated use of force intended to cripple without inflicting mass casualties or triggering an environmental catastrophe in one of the world’s most critical shipping lanes.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi condemned the strikes as a ceasefire violation, calling the operation a “reckless military adventure.” Tehran simultaneously said it was still reviewing the US 14-point peace proposal — a position that underscores the contradictions now defining the Iran-US standoff: active naval confrontation coexisting with an ostensibly live diplomatic track.
The Strikes
Both tankers were Iranian-flagged and assessed by US forces to be transporting crude in defiance of existing sanctions. The USS George H.W. Bush carrier strike group has been operating in the region as part of the US naval presence enforcing the blockade.
CENTCOM’s decision to release video of the strikes is significant. The footage documents a deliberate, surgical operation — not a hot-blooded engagement — and serves a dual purpose: demonstrating restraint to diplomatic audiences while signaling to Tehran that the US has both the capability and the will to interdict vessels at scale.
President Trump, speaking to reporters, described the overall posture as consistent with the April 8 ceasefire framework still being “in effect” and suggested the US might resume convoy-escort operations in the strait. The framing — strikes as ceasefire-compatible enforcement rather than escalation — is a legal and diplomatic argument Washington will need to sustain as the situation develops.
Iran’s Response
Araghchi’s “ceasefire violation” framing is Iran’s most direct challenge yet to Trump’s assertion that the April 8 truce remains operative. Tehran has not, however, formally withdrawn from the diplomatic process. Iranian officials said the US 14-point memorandum of understanding remains under review, even as lawmakers in Iran’s parliament called the terms “unreasonable, unrealistic, and maximalist,” citing the demand for a 12-to-20-year uranium enrichment moratorium and the transfer of 440 kilograms of 60-percent-enriched uranium to a third country.
No formal Iranian reply to the MOU had been received as of May 9.
The tanker strikes came one day before Iran seized the Ocean Koi, a US-sanctioned vessel in the Gulf of Oman — a move that mirrors the US interdiction strategy and signals Tehran’s intent to assert parallel maritime authority regardless of diplomatic timelines set by Washington.
The Blockade and the Hormuz Chokepoint
The US naval blockade of Iranian ports has produced a cascading set of countermeasures from Tehran. Iran has formally established a Persian Gulf Strait Authority and announced a $2 million per-ship toll on vessels transiting the Strait of Hormuz — a mechanism designed to monetize the chokepoint and complicate the US enforcement posture.
The International Energy Agency has warned that a sustained Hormuz disruption would remove approximately 14 million barrels per day from global supply. Brent crude was trading near $100.49 per barrel as of May 8, with WTI at $95.42. Gold reached $4,715 per ounce, and the 10-year Treasury yield held at 4.36% — a market profile consistent with elevated geopolitical risk hedging but not yet full crisis pricing.
Physical oil markets, however, tell a different story than futures. The gap between Brent futures and what buyers are actually paying for physical barrels has widened sharply, with physical crude trading at significant premiums as supply-chain friction compounds.
The China Dimension
The strikes on the Sea Star III and Sevda are occurring against a backdrop of intensifying Chinese diplomatic activity. Beijing has pressed Tehran to engage seriously with the US proposal ahead of a Trump-Xi summit scheduled for May 14–15, according to PBS NewsHour. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent confirmed that Iran will be a central topic at the summit.
China’s leverage is real but constrained. Beijing has economic exposure through Iranian oil purchases and has urged restraint, but a Chinese-flagged joint-venture tanker was struck near UAE waters earlier this week — an incident that has complicated Beijing’s attempt to position itself as a neutral broker.
Chinese officials have not publicly commented on the Sea Star III and Sevda strikes as of publication.
What Happens Next
The immediate operational question is whether Iran will attempt further tanker transits in defiance of the blockade, and whether additional CENTCOM interdictions follow. The April 8 ceasefire framework — under which both sides nominally agreed to pause offensive strikes — was always ambiguous about naval interdiction operations. Washington’s position that blockade enforcement is ceasefire-compatible has not been formally accepted by Tehran.
The diplomatic timeline is compressing. Secretary of State Marco Rubio had pressed Iran for a response “today” on May 8. The absence of a formal Iranian reply, combined with the Araghchi condemnation and continuing tanker activity, suggests Tehran is using the review period to buy time while signaling it has not conceded anything.
The May 14–15 Trump-Xi summit now looms as the most plausible inflection point. If China applies meaningful pressure on Iran in that context, the MOU process could accelerate. If the summit produces only joint statements, the naval confrontation in the Gulf of Oman is likely to continue at its current tempo — or escalate.
Preparedness note: Extended Hormuz disruption would affect global fuel and shipping supply chains. Readers building emergency reserves may want to review basic preparedness supplies while availability and pricing are stable.
The Daily Strike
One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.
No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.


