Friday, May 22 About
AmericaStrikes
diplomacy

Rubio Expects Iran Answer 'Today'; Parliament Calls MOU a Wish-List

Secretary Rubio said Friday the US expected Iran's response to its 14-point peace framework that day. Tehran's parliament rejected the terms as unrealistic.

Rubio Expects Iran Answer 'Today'; Parliament Calls MOU a Wish-List
Photo: FrDr / Wikimedia Commons · CC BY-SA 4.0
By David Mitchell Diplomacy correspondent · Published · 3 min read

Secretary of State Marco Rubio told reporters in Rome on Friday that the United States expected an Iranian response to its proposed memorandum of understanding that day, even as Tehran’s parliament and foreign ministry sent competing signals about where negotiations actually stand.

“We should know something today,” Rubio said, speaking on the sidelines of a diplomatic engagement in Rome. By the end of Friday, no formal Iranian response had been confirmed.

Qatar as Conduit

Vice President JD Vance met Qatari Prime Minister Sheikh Mohammed Bin Abdul Rahman al-Thani at the White House Friday to coordinate pressure through the Gulf state’s back-channel role in the negotiations. Qatar has served alongside Pakistan as one of the two primary conduits for the 14-point MOU framework, a one-page document the US transmitted to Iranian interlocutors through both intermediaries.

The Qatari prime minister separately told the Arabic-language outlet al-Araby al-Jadeed there was a “high probability” of a deal being reached. That assessment placed Doha in a notably more optimistic position than the signals coming from Tehran itself.

The framework’s origins — and the structure of the US position — are detailed in earlier coverage of the MOU’s emergence in the talks.

Parliament’s Verdict

While diplomats spoke of high probabilities, Iranian lawmakers took a sharply different view of the document. Parliamentarian Ebrahim Rezaei dismissed the MOU as “more of an American wish-list than a reality,” framing the 14 points as aspirations the US had set for Iran rather than a genuine bilateral framework.

Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf went further, posting on social media that “Operation Trust Me Bro failed” — a phrase that encapsulates the skepticism inside the legislature about the framework’s sincerity and enforceability.

That skepticism has a longer history. The gulf between how Washington and Tehran interpret the MOU’s terms was visible as far back as Iran’s initial framing of the framework, when Iranian officials emphasized fundamental disagreements on nuclear enrichment rights that the US document appeared to sidestep.

Foreign Ministry: Still No Conclusion

Iran’s Foreign Ministry offered a more procedural response. Spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei said Tehran “has not yet reached a conclusion, and no response has been given to the US side,” adding that messages to Pakistani mediators were still pending. The statement drew a distinction between the parliament’s political rejection and the executive branch’s formal process — but it did not signal movement toward acceptance.

The divergence between Iran’s legislative branch and foreign ministry is a pattern that has complicated outside assessment throughout the negotiation cycle. Parliamentary statements carry political weight domestically but the foreign ministry controls the official channel. Both were on record Friday with positions that fell short of the breakthrough Rubio had suggested was imminent.

Iran’s foreign minister, Abbas Araqchi, has been active in parallel diplomacy. He briefed Chinese officials on the state of US-Iran negotiations during recent talks in Beijing, a dynamic covered in detail in the Araqchi-Beijing channel.

Beijing’s Stake

The China dimension adds a layer of pressure to the timeline. A Trump-Xi summit has been confirmed for May 14-15 in Beijing. Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent has urged Beijing to use that meeting to press for a Hormuz reopening, according to diplomatic reporting. China imports a significant share of its oil through the strait and views Gulf disruption as a direct threat to its energy security — giving Beijing independent incentive to press Tehran toward a resolution.

Whether Chinese influence translates into Iranian movement before or after the summit is unclear. Araqchi’s briefings in Beijing suggest Iran is keeping its largest energy customer informed, but Iranian officials have not indicated that Beijing’s preferences are a determinative factor in their response timeline.

The Trust Problem

The diplomatic confidence gap has been a persistent feature of this negotiation cycle. French President Emmanuel Macron’s call with Iranian President Masoud Pezeshkian last week surfaced a broader trust deficit that has shadowed the talks, with Tehran citing past US withdrawals from agreements — most prominently the 2018 exit from the JCPOA — as grounds for caution on any new framework, however abbreviated.

The MOU’s one-page length, which the US side has presented as evidence of pragmatism, reads differently from Tehran’s perspective: a short document can obscure as much as it clarifies, particularly on contested questions like uranium enrichment levels and sanctions relief sequencing.

Where Things Stand

As of Friday evening, the situation is as follows: the US expected a response it did not receive; Qatar believes a deal is probable; Iran’s parliament has publicly rejected the framework’s terms; Iran’s foreign ministry says deliberations are ongoing; and the Pakistani and Qatari intermediary channels remain open but have not produced a formal Iranian reply.

The next pressure point may be the May 14-15 Trump-Xi summit in Beijing, which gives both Washington and Tehran roughly six days to either advance the framework or allow the diplomatic window to narrow further. Whether Iranian decision-makers treat that timeline as an incentive or an irrelevance will determine whether Rubio’s Friday optimism was premature by hours or by weeks.

Subscribe

The Daily Strike

One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.

No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.