Iran to Deliver MOU Response, Disputes Nuclear Framing
Tehran's formal reply to the US 14-point memorandum is expected today through Pakistani mediators, with Iran rejecting the characterization that nuclear talks are underway.
Iran is expected to deliver its formal response to the United States’ 14-point Memorandum of Understanding through Pakistani mediators on Thursday, even as Tehran’s foreign ministry publicly rejected the framing that the two countries are engaged in nuclear negotiations.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Esmaeil Baghaei told reporters in Tehran that “at this stage, we do not have nuclear negotiations” — a line that diverges sharply from the description of the memorandum that has reached Western capitals. The American text, as reported by Reuters and Axios, is understood to include a 12-year moratorium on uranium enrichment above reactor grade and the transfer of roughly 400 kilograms of highly enriched uranium out of the country.
The gap between those two readings is now the central question of the diplomatic track.
Two countries, two memorandums
To Washington, the document on the table is a nuclear-rollback agreement that reopens the Strait of Hormuz and unwinds the active US military campaign as a consequence of Iran’s concessions. To Tehran, judging by the public statements of senior officials this week, the document is a mechanism for ending hostilities and restoring shipping in the Gulf — with the nuclear file deferred to a later, separate process.
Parliament Speaker Mohammad Baqer Ghalibaf mocked reports of an imminent agreement, and lawmaker Ebrahim Rezaei told domestic media that the American text reads “more of an American wish list than a reality.” The comments — coming from inside the Islamic Republic’s parliament rather than the negotiating room — suggest the political space inside Tehran for a sweeping nuclear concession is narrower than the White House appears to believe.
Andreas Krieg, a security analyst quoted in Al Jazeera’s analysis of the sequencing dispute, described what is happening as “a concession to Tehran” — meaning the Iranians believe they have already secured American agreement to settle the maritime crisis first and discuss the nuclear program afterward.
What the US has paused
President Donald Trump on Tuesday paused Project Freedom, the US-led naval escort effort in and around the Strait of Hormuz, telling reporters that talks with Iran were going “very well” and that “Operation Epic Fury will be at an end” if Tehran accepts the terms on the table. He also threatened to resume bombing “at a much higher level” if it does not.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio said the active phase of the US military campaign was “concluded,” a framing that left open whether forces in the region remain in an offensive or purely defensive posture. The pause came after Trump’s 48-hour ultimatum lapsed without a strike, and after Project Freedom itself was paused to give the diplomatic track room to breathe.
For Iran, the pause is the deliverable. For the United States, the pause is leverage. Whether those two readings can be reconciled inside the four corners of a single document is what Pakistani mediators are expected to test today.
The Pakistan channel
Islamabad has emerged as the working channel between Washington and Tehran. Pakistani officials have shuttled language between the two capitals since last week, and the formal Iranian reply is expected to be transmitted through that route rather than through European intermediaries or the Swiss protecting-power arrangement that has historically handled US–Iran communications.
The choice of channel matters. A Pakistani-mediated track gives Tehran political cover to engage without appearing to negotiate directly with an administration that was, days ago, preparing strikes on its territory. It also gives Washington a deniable conduit for testing language without the formality — and the leak risk — of European involvement.
Markets have already priced the deal
Energy and rates markets moved violently on the deal optics on Tuesday before the framing dispute became public. Brent crude settled at $101.27, down 7.83 percent on the day. WTI closed at $95.08, off 7.03 percent. The 10-year Treasury yield drifted to roughly 4.354 percent as the war-risk premium bled out of the long end.
The S&P 500 closed at a record on the same session, an outcome covered in our markets recap. The risk now is that the price action ran ahead of the diplomacy: if Tehran’s formal response today reframes the agreement as a Hormuz-only ceasefire — and not the nuclear-rollback deal that Washington has been describing — both crude and equities will need to reprice that ambiguity.
What to watch
Three signals will determine whether the framing gap is a negotiating posture or a genuine impasse.
The first is the language Iran uses in its formal response. If the document delivered through Pakistan acknowledges enrichment ceilings or stockpile reductions in any form — even as a separate annex — the gap is rhetorical. If it confines itself to maritime de-escalation and sanctions architecture, the gap is structural.
The second is the White House readout. The administration has consistently described the memorandum as a nuclear deal. A pivot in language toward “phased” or “sequenced” terms would indicate that Washington is absorbing the Iranian framing rather than enforcing its own.
The third is the Israeli reaction. Jerusalem has not signed the memorandum and has been clear, including in cabinet statements this week, that any agreement that does not eliminate Iran’s enrichment capacity is unacceptable. An Iranian response that punts the nuclear file is the scenario most likely to fracture the US–Israel position, and the one most likely to bring the military track back into play.
A formal Iranian reply is expected before the close of business Thursday in Tehran.
The Daily Strike
One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.
No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.


