Skip to content
● BreakingHouthis Claim Drone Strikes on Saudi Aramco, Najran Airport
Friday, Aug 21
AmericaStrikes
iran middle east
Analysis

The Oil Test: Vance Revealed Washington's Real War Aim — and Iran Is Consolidating for a Long Siege

JD Vance's declaration that cheap oil is America's top priority in the Iran war — ahead of nuclear disarmament — rewrites the public rationale for the conflict and signals a siege strategy, not a sprint to a deal.

The Oil Test: Vance Revealed Washington's Real War Aim — and Iran Is Consolidating for a Long Siege
Photo: AMORIE SAM / Pexels · Pexels License
By Mariam KhalilIran and Middle East correspondent·Published ·6 min read

On Thursday evening, US Vice President JD Vance appeared on Fox News and said something the administration has never said quite this plainly: cheap oil for American consumers is Washington’s top priority in the Iran war — and preventing Iran from getting a nuclear weapon is number two.

“I know that oil is down today and it’s way down from the highs in the early days of the conflict,” Vance told the network. “That’s goal number one — keep oil and gas cheap for Americans all over our country.” He then said the next priority is to “ensure Iran doesn’t get a nuclear weapon.”

The ordering matters. President Trump has spent months justifying US military action in Iran primarily as a nuclear nonproliferation mission, telling Americans they would have to absorb short-term energy costs to prevent a nuclear-armed Tehran. Vance inverted that framework publicly: energy prices come first; nuclear disarmament is the secondary objective.

That is not a slip. It is a theory of the war — one that explains several otherwise confusing elements of US strategy this week, including the Hormuz stalemate, the ambiguous August 17 ceasefire deadline, and Vance’s own demand that Ukraine stop hitting oil tankers at Russian Black Sea ports. Taken together, the week’s events suggest Washington is running a global oil-price management operation, using military leverage to squeeze adversary revenues while protecting American consumers from the consequences.

The Siege Arithmetic

The Hormuz blockade is working in one sense and failing in another, and both outcomes serve the same strategic logic.

It is working because the strait is functionally closed to most commercial traffic. Al Jazeera reported Tuesday that just eight vessels crossed the strait that day, down from 130 to 140 transits per day before the war began. Iran’s oil revenues, port fees, and petrochemical exports are being crushed. The Israeli chief of staff told ministers this week that the blockade is “highly effective” and that Iran’s economic crisis is “getting worse,” according to the Jerusalem Post.

It is failing in another sense because Brent crude — which Vance bragged is “down” from conflict highs — is still trading at roughly $89 per barrel, a level that we flagged two weeks ago as carrying political weight in Europe, Asia, and at American pumps. The oil market has partially adjusted to Hormuz’s near-closure via emergency reroutes, Saudi spare capacity, and supply substitutions from Iraqi pipeline flows through Turkey.

Vance’s framing reveals that the administration considers $89 oil a win, not a problem — because the alternative comparison is the conflict’s early peak, not the pre-war baseline. The political message is: we went to war and gas prices are lower than they were at the start. Whether that framing survives a winter season with reduced SPR capacity and still-closed Hormuz is a separate question.

The same logic explains why Vance told Zelensky to stop hitting oil tankers at Russia’s Novorossiysk port. OilPrice reported Wednesday that the request was driven by concern that Ukraine’s attacks — which had already shut down the Caspian Pipeline Consortium twice in two months — were “additionally destabilizing an already destabilized global oil market.” A US vice president managing an Iranian siege cannot simultaneously allow Kyiv to tighten the Russian oil supply, or the combined effect on global prices becomes politically untenable.

This is a coherent doctrine. It is also, notably, not the doctrine Trump sold to the American public.

Iran’s Leadership Reads the Play

The week’s most significant development in Tehran was not a military one. On August 10, Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei formalized six senior military and security appointments within 48 hours — including naming former IRGC commander Mohsen Rezaei to head the Supreme National Security Council, Iran’s top national security body.

OilPrice’s analysis of the reshuffle framed it correctly: this is not a personnel story. It is the consolidation of an emergency wartime chain of command that had been improvised since Israeli and US strikes killed much of the prior leadership. Rezaei is a hardliner; his appointment to the SNSC — which signed the Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding in June — signals that the body is now being repositioned around his posture, not around the more pragmatic figures who negotiated the original ceasefire.

Middle East Eye reported Wednesday that the shake-up “reveals growing divisions over the US deal.” That is the right frame. The divisions are between Iranian negotiators who want to use the Islamabad MOU as a bridge to a broader settlement, and hardline factions who believe the US is using ceasefire talks to buy time while tightening the economic noose. Rezaei’s appointment suggests the latter faction is winning the internal argument.

This matters because Iran’s six formal conditions for reopening the strait — analyzed here after Zolghadr published them a week ago — include demands for complete US military withdrawal from the region, reparations for war damage, and acceptance of Iran’s new maritime authority in the strait as “irreversible.” Those are not compromise positions. They are the terms Rezaei’s faction would find acceptable.

The Ceasefire Deadline Paradox

The Islamabad Memorandum of Understanding’s 60-day ceasefire expires Sunday, August 17 — tomorrow. The two contradictory signals circulating this week have not resolved.

Pakistani government sources told Anadolu Agency on Wednesday that both sides had “conveyed their consent to the mediators to extend the deadline,” with the sides “exchanging positions on conditions,” according to Middle East Monitor. That would make the extension an informal rolling arrangement, not a signed document.

A senior Iranian official told Reuters and Middle East Eye on the same day that the two sides had not discussed any extension, and that Islamabad had not conveyed any such proposal.

The contradiction is not confusion. It is the negotiation. Pakistan — which has been the primary mediator throughout — has an interest in reporting progress to both sides to keep the channel alive. Iran has an interest in publicly denying any extension it has not formally endorsed, to avoid signaling concession. The US has an interest in neither confirming nor denying, to preserve ambiguity about whether military pressure might resume.

What this dynamic actually means is that the August 17 deadline will probably pass without a formal announcement in either direction. The ceasefire will continue functionally while both sides maintain deniability about its status. That is the war in its current phase: a siege with a legal fiction of negotiation overlaid on top.

What to Watch Next Week

Whether oil moves on the deadline non-event. If Brent holds below $92 through Monday with no escalation, it validates the administration’s “siege is working” narrative. If oil jumps toward $95–$100 on any incident, the political math for Vance’s cheap-oil doctrine deteriorates rapidly.

Iran’s SNSC posture under Rezaei. The new SNSC chair’s first formal statement after the Aug. 17 deadline will signal whether Tehran is treating the ceasefire as still operative or as lapsed. Watch for language around the Islamabad MOU — endorsement versus silence versus explicit repudiation.

A formal Vance-Trump messaging reconciliation. The administration cannot sustain two competing public rationales for the war indefinitely. Either Trump adopts “oil prices first” explicitly, or Vance walks back the hierarchy. The direction of that correction will tell you whether the administration is preparing to settle for an open-strait arrangement (consistent with “oil first”) or holding out for a nuclear deal (consistent with Trump’s original framing).

The Oman shipping track. A limited navigation arrangement covering mine clearance and vessel inspections — separate from any political settlement — remains achievable through the Oman channel. Iran’s IRGC has been explicit that such an arrangement “has nothing to do with reopening” the strait to full commerce. But even a partial technical arrangement would allow select tankers to transit, which is consistent with Vance’s oil-price objective even without a political deal.

Congressional movement. A bipartisan Iran operations supplemental has been in negotiation for weeks. Committee action would signal Washington is budgeting for a multi-month siege, not an imminent agreement.

The Vance doctrine — cheap oil as war aim — is coherent, politically viable, and very different from the stated nuclear-disarmament rationale. If it is the real US objective, then Trump’s comments about declaring Hormuz “US territory” are better understood as a property claim over the prize of a successful siege than as a serious territorial annexation proposal. And Iran’s consolidation of hardliners in its security establishment is the correct response from Tehran’s perspective: if Washington is playing for economic attrition, the side that can absorb economic pain longest wins.

The strait is still near-closed. Eight vessels are transiting where 135 used to. Iran’s economic crisis is deepening. And the US vice president just told you openly what he thinks the war is actually for. The question now is whether the American public, the oil market, and Iran itself believe him.


Related coverage: Iran’s Theory of Victory at Hormuz · Brent Tops $90 as Iran-U.S. Deal Hopes Fade · Zelensky Halts Black Sea Tanker Strikes After Vance Demand · Trump Vows to Declare Hormuz a U.S. Territory as Iran Talks Stall

Found this useful? Share it.