Adnoc Says Two of Its Vessels Attacked in Strait of Hormuz
UAE state oil firm Adnoc confirms two of its vessels were attacked Thursday evening while transiting the Strait of Hormuz. No injuries were reported.

Two vessels belonging to Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (Adnoc) were attacked Thursday evening while transiting the Strait of Hormuz, the UAE state oil firm confirmed in a statement carried by Middle East Eye. Adnoc said no injuries were reported.
What we know
Adnoc, the state-owned energy giant of the United Arab Emirates, said the two ships were struck as they moved through the Strait — the narrow waterway that carries roughly a fifth of the world’s seaborne oil. The company confirmed the incident but did not name a perpetrator, disclose the type of weapon used, or say whether the vessels sustained cargo damage.
The attacks occurred Thursday evening local time. Adnoc has not released the vessels’ names, flags, or current status, nor has it indicated whether transit through the Strait has been affected for other traffic.
No party has publicly claimed responsibility as of publication.
What we don’t know
The identity of the attackers, the weapons used (drone, fast-boat, mine, or missile), the extent of damage, whether crews were evacuated, and whether the vessels remain under way or have been diverted to port are all unconfirmed. This is a developing story and details are expected to shift as UAE, US, and allied naval authorities respond.
Context
The Strait of Hormuz has been the recurring pressure point of the current cycle. Earlier this week, the US Navy disabled a Panama-flagged tanker as part of ongoing enforcement operations against sanctions-evading traffic, and Iran has continued to tie Hormuz transit to demands over frozen assets in its diplomatic messaging.
Attacks on UAE-flagged commercial vessels — as opposed to Western-flagged ships — mark a distinct escalation. Adnoc’s tankers carry the UAE’s own crude and refined products; hitting them targets the Gulf’s export lifeline directly. Any confirmed responsibility for the attack will reshape the risk premium on Gulf shipping insurance and could pull the US Fifth Fleet into a more visible convoy posture.
What to watch
- Whether Iran, the Houthis, or an Iranian-aligned militia claims or is blamed for the strikes.
- Movement in Brent and WTI overnight — a confirmed Hormuz incident historically drives a 3–6% spike within hours.
- Any US Fifth Fleet or UK Royal Navy statement on escort operations for Gulf traffic in the next 24 hours.
Found this useful? Share it.


