Skip to content
● BreakingHouthis Claim Drone Strikes on Saudi Aramco, Najran Airport
Friday, Aug 21
AmericaStrikes
iran middle east

US Military Disables Panama-Flagged Tanker in Strait of Hormuz

US Central Command says it disabled a Panama-flagged cargo tanker in the Gulf of Oman on Tuesday for attempting to violate the US naval blockade in the Strait of Hormuz.

US Military Disables Panama-Flagged Tanker in Strait of Hormuz
Photo: Petty Officer 1st Class Indra Beaufort / USS Roosevelt (DDG 80) / DVIDS / DVIDS · Public Domain (US Government work)
America Strikes Desk·Published ·2 min read

The US military disabled a Panama-flagged cargo tanker on Tuesday as it attempted to transit the Gulf of Oman in violation of the American naval blockade on Iranian ports, US Central Command said, according to a report in The Hill.

What we know

CENTCOM, which oversees US forces in the Middle East, said the Panama-flagged vessel was interdicted in the Gulf of Oman while attempting to cross into the Strait of Hormuz in breach of the US naval cordon around Iran, per The Hill.

The interdiction is the latest use of naval force to enforce the export blockade Washington has run against Iranian ports since late July. US Navy vessels have repeatedly stopped, boarded, or disabled tankers that CENTCOM has determined were carrying sanctioned Iranian crude or attempting to run the cordon.

CENTCOM did not identify the tanker by name in the initial statement, and it was not immediately clear whether the crew had been taken into US custody or where the vessel was left after being disabled.

What we don’t know

The tanker’s IMO number, owner-of-record, cargo, and final destination have not been released. It is not yet clear whether the disabling involved boarding, a warning shot, or damage to the ship’s steering or propulsion, and CENTCOM has not said whether the crew is being held or repatriated. Iran has not yet publicly responded to the interdiction. This is a developing story.

Context

The Panama-flag detail is significant: prior US interdictions have primarily targeted vessels sailing under Iranian, Russian, or shadow-fleet flags of convenience. A Panama-flagged tanker being disabled expands the pool of ships CENTCOM is willing to stop and raises the compliance stakes for the world’s largest ship registry.

The blockade has been the trigger for multiple retaliation cycles in the region. US forces first began disabling tankers in bulk in late July, when CENTCOM disabled a vessel running the cordon on the same night Iran struck Saudi Arabia. It comes as Brent crude continues to trade around $90 with Iran-US deal hopes fading, and as Tehran pushes six conditions for any Hormuz de-escalation.

What to watch

  1. Whether Iran or the IRGC issues a formal response to the interdiction, and whether that response takes the form of a naval seizure of a Western-flagged tanker in retaliation.
  2. Whether Panama’s Maritime Authority opens an investigation into the vessel or the operator behind the flag registration.
  3. Whether Brent crude reacts on the Wednesday session open to the escalation of US enforcement to third-party flag-of-convenience shipping.

Found this useful? Share it.