Friday, May 22 About
AmericaStrikes
iran middle east

Trump Says He Was an Hour From Iran Strike; Vance Floats Reset

Trump said he was an hour from resuming Iran strikes before pausing the offensive, as VP Vance signaled a US "reset" with Tehran and oil prices fell on the pause.

Trump Says He Was an Hour From Iran Strike; Vance Floats Reset
Photo: Sajad Nori / Unsplash · Unsplash License
By Mariam Khalil Iran and Middle East correspondent · Published · 4 min read

President Trump said Tuesday he was an hour from resuming military strikes on Iran before postponing the offensive on Monday, as Vice President JD Vance separately framed Washington’s posture as a pursuit of a “reset” with Tehran. Hours later, Trump warned of a “big hit” if Tehran does not reach a deal soon. Oil markets read the mix of signals as a pause rather than a pivot: Brent and WTI both fell after the strike postponement was confirmed.

The day’s messaging from the White House was, in sequence, military, diplomatic and military again — a pattern the administration has now repeated several times during the current cycle. The strike that did not happen Monday is the same operation that drove Sunday’s order to halt the attack under pressure from Gulf states and the resulting drop in crude prices that has saved US consumers an estimated $45 billion in pump-price exposure since the pause began.

Vance: “reset”

Vance’s “reset” language, delivered in remarks summarized by Middle East Eye, is the most explicit diplomatic framing any senior US official has offered since the blockade went into effect in mid-April. The vice president did not describe specific terms, sequencing or a venue, and the White House has not confirmed a track separate from the back-channel work Pakistan has been conducting between Washington and Tehran. The choice of word matters: “reset” implies a working relationship of some kind on the other side of the current crisis, not a one-off de-escalation.

It is also a deliberate departure from the tone of the past month, in which the administration has spoken of enrichment red lines, time horizons and consequences rather than of any future bilateral architecture. Whether the reset framing survives the next round of Trump statements is the open question.

Trump: “a big hit”

Hours after Vance’s remarks, Trump told reporters Tehran faced a “big hit” if it does not make a deal soon, the Guardian reported. The president did not attach a hard date to the warning, and he did not specify what would trigger the strike package he said had been an hour from launch. The pairing of a vice-presidential “reset” with a presidential strike threat on the same news day is consistent with the enrichment-flexibility messaging the administration has been signaling in parallel — a public good-cop/bad-cop posture aimed as much at Gulf and European audiences as at Tehran.

For Iran, the practical read is that the strike window has been deferred rather than closed. The military assets that would execute the operation remain forward-deployed, and the diplomatic offer is being delivered alongside, not instead of, the threat.

Markets: the pause is priced, the threat is not

Crude markets moved on the postponement, not on the warning. Brent and WTI both fell on the news of the strike pause, according to the Middle East Eye market summary, continuing a multi-day drift lower that began when Sunday’s halt was confirmed. Traders are treating the Vance reset language as a marginal-probability shift toward de-escalation and largely ignoring the “big hit” warning as a known feature of the cycle.

That pricing sits on top of a freight-and-storage picture that has not eased. US officials said this week that 88 commercial vessels have been diverted away from the Strait of Hormuz since the cycle escalated, with crude rerouting around the Cape of Good Hope adding roughly two weeks to delivery times. Iran’s floating-storage stockpile is up about 65 percent as the US naval cordon keeps Iranian-flagged tankers from offloading. And Japanese and South Korean refiners have moved to deepen joint crude procurement and emergency-stock coordination on the assumption the chokepoint remains unreliable through any near-term deal.

Flat-price oil is falling because the strike was not executed. The structural premium in freight, insurance and Asian term contracts is not falling, because none of the conditions underneath it have changed.

The diplomatic track moves in parallel

Qatar publicly backed US-Iran talks and called for the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz on Tuesday, Middle East Monitor reported, the most direct Gulf endorsement of a negotiated track since the cycle began. Doha has been the most active Gulf mediator throughout, and its public alignment with both sides of the file — talks and chokepoint reopening — gives the reset framing a regional anchor it did not have last week.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio took the same file to the United Nations, discussing the Strait of Hormuz with UN Secretary-General António Guterres, Middle East Eye reported. The decision to surface the chokepoint at the secretary-general level signals Washington wants international cover for whatever arrangement governs the strait on the other side of the current pause — and that the administration is preparing the diplomatic ground for either outcome, a deal or a strike.

The Guardian, in its day-of analysis of the cycle, described an administration leaning on Mideast allies to do the work the US wants done without committing to terms it cannot walk back. That posture explains the doubled-up messaging: Vance offers Tehran a path, Trump preserves the strike option, Gulf partners and the UN carry the diplomatic load.

What to watch

Three things, in order. First, whether Tehran responds publicly to the reset language with anything other than the standard rejection cycle — a willingness to engage on terms, even indirectly, would be the clearest signal the diplomatic track is alive. Second, whether the “big hit” warning acquires a hard date. The current pause works because the strike threat is credible but unscheduled; a deadline turns the threat into a clock, and clocks tend to run out. Third, the IAEA brief to the UN Security Council on the Barakah nuclear-plant drone strike in Abu Dhabi. If that brief lands inside the deal window with attribution language Tehran can live with, the reset has room. If it lands with hard attribution to Iran or to an Iran-backed proxy, the strike package Trump said was an hour from launch becomes considerably harder to keep on the shelf.

Subscribe

The Daily Strike

One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.

No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.