Iran's Araghchi Warns of Prolonged War and Higher US Prices
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Tehran is ready for a long conflict with Washington and warned American households will pay in fuel and food costs.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi said Friday that Tehran is prepared for a prolonged conflict with the United States and warned that American households will bear higher fuel and food prices the longer Washington presses the campaign, a statement issued as a fresh round of US-Iran talks appeared to stall, Al Jazeera reported.
Araghchi framed the standoff as a contest of economic endurance rather than a short military exchange, arguing that the cost of pressing Iran will land squarely on American consumers at the pump and the grocery aisle. The same theme ran through his earlier remarks of the day, captured in a Middle East Eye live blog update, in which he tied any escalation directly to the price of crude and the cost of imported staples in the United States.
The warning lands at a moment of unusual fluidity in the diplomatic track. President Donald Trump told reporters this week that a 20-year suspension of Iran’s nuclear program would be acceptable to Washington, the BBC reported, a notable shift from the full-dismantlement ceiling US negotiators had been signaling earlier in the spring. That public softening hands Araghchi room to argue that pressure is already producing concessions, and that Tehran has more leverage if it holds its line rather than signs.
America Strikes covered the earlier leg of this exchange Thursday, when Araghchi paired the same economic warning with a demand that Washington keep the Strait of Hormuz open to commercial traffic. That sequence is reconstructed in our prior piece on the Trump-Hormuz comments and Araghchi’s economic warning, and the Trump-side framing on the nuclear question is laid out in our coverage of the annihilation ultimatum and nuclear deal posture.
The talks track
The diplomatic round was widely expected to deliver at least a framework on inspections and a partial sanctions schedule. Instead, both sides have spent the week public-messaging past each other. Tehran has held that any agreement requires a US commitment not to strike Iranian infrastructure during the term of the deal. Washington has not offered that guarantee in public.
The proximate state of the talks, including signals around the partial reopening of Hormuz commerce, is detailed in our Iran-Hormuz partial reopening and talks signals piece from Thursday. Nothing announced Friday contradicts that read. What changed Friday is the volume and the framing: Araghchi is no longer threatening escalation as a contingency. He is describing it as the path the United States is choosing.
The price-shock backdrop
Araghchi’s argument rests on a market structure US officials privately concede is real. Roughly a fifth of global seaborne oil and a comparable share of liquefied natural gas transits the Strait of Hormuz. A sustained closure, or even a credible threat of one, would re-rate global energy benchmarks within a single trading session. Refined product prices in the United States follow with a short lag, and food prices, which carry embedded diesel and fertilizer costs, follow on a longer one.
Gulf states have been moving for weeks to insulate themselves and the global market from exactly that scenario. The United Arab Emirates is expanding a pipeline network designed to roughly double the volume of crude it can ship from terminals outside the Strait, Middle East Eye reported. America Strikes covered the related ADNOC-India infrastructure push in our UAE-India Hormuz bypass piece, which lays out the timeline and the volumes involved.
That bypass capacity does not exist yet at the scale required to neutralize a full Hormuz disruption. It does exist in sufficient volume to alter the bargaining math at the margin, which is part of why Tehran is leaning harder on the rhetorical lever this week rather than the physical one.
Gulf posture and the proxy front
The Gulf is not a neutral observer in the negotiation. Bloomberg reported, and Middle East Eye relayed, that the UAE has pushed the Gulf Cooperation Council to commit to a coordinated military posture against Iran in the event of open hostilities. That reporting tracks with America Strikes’ earlier piece today on direct US pressure on the UAE around Iran’s Lavan Island, which suggested Washington is treating Abu Dhabi as a forward operating partner rather than a diplomatic intermediary.
The proxy front has not gone quiet either. Hezbollah said Friday it had launched 33 separate attacks on Israeli forces in southern Lebanon over the preceding 24 hours, according to a Middle East Eye live update, continuing a tempo that the nominal Lebanon truce has not suppressed. Iranian-aligned formations in Iraq and Yemen have held to a lower public profile this week, but US Central Command has not reduced its force posture in the region.
What to watch
Three signals will determine whether Araghchi’s framing is a negotiating posture or a forecast. The first is the next US public statement on the nuclear ceiling. If Washington walks back the 20-year-suspension language Trump floated, Tehran will read that as a hardening and respond in kind. The second is the price of Brent crude at the Monday open. A move above the recent range without a fresh kinetic event would indicate the market is pricing in Araghchi’s threat directly. The third is whether Gulf carriers and insurers adjust Hormuz transit premiums next week. Those rates moved sharply during the spring escalation and have only partially normalized.
Araghchi did not set a deadline. He did not have to. The structure of the energy market sets one for him.
The Daily Strike
One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.
No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.


