Daily Strike — Morning Edition
Morning round-up for July 18: IRGC warns of full-scale offensive within 48-72 hours; seventh night of US strikes expands to central Iran; crude up 10% on the week.
- IRGC official Mohsen Rezaei warned the US that 'full-scale offensive operations' will begin if airstrikes continue for another 48-72 hours
- Seventh consecutive night of US strikes hit road bridges in southern Iran, triggered explosions in Yazd and the port city of Sirik in central Iran
- Iran declared the June 17 MOU void on July 15, saying it is fighting an existential war with no remaining obligation to uphold ceasefire terms
- IRGC struck US military bases across six Gulf states: Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Jordan, and Syria, including Al Udeid Air Base near Doha
- Brent crude settled the week at $85.95, up more than 10%; Strait of Hormuz transit volume at roughly 11% of pre-conflict levels
This morning edition covers the period from 11:00 UTC on July 17 through midnight into July 18. The dominant story overnight was a sharp escalation in Iranian warning language — an IRGC official placing a 48-72 hour deadline on the start of “full-scale offensive operations” — combined with a seventh consecutive night of US airstrikes that for the first time produced confirmed explosions in central Iran.
Top Stories
IRGC Sets 48-72 Hour Ultimatum
Mohsen Rezaei, an IRGC official and military adviser to Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei, warned Friday night that the United States faces “full-scale offensive operations” if its airstrikes on Iran continue for “another two or three days,” according to statements carried by state-owned IRIB and reported by APA.az. “No political border will be secure against Iran’s offensive forces,” Rezaei said, adding that Washington should be required to pay reparations for attacks on civilian infrastructure.
The statement is the most specific public escalation threat Iran has issued since the ceasefire collapsed. A senior IRGC general separately told Tasnim News that retaliatory operations would continue “until calm returns to southern Iran” — language that conditions any de-escalation on a US halt first. Full coverage in IRGC Threatens Full-Scale Offensive as Iran Declares Peace Deal Void.
Seventh Night of Strikes Reaches Central Iran
US Central Command confirmed completing its seventh consecutive overnight bombing campaign against Iran. The wave struck six road bridges in Hormozgan province in the south, continuing the targeting of transport infrastructure that began earlier in the week, per NPR. Separately, residents in Yazd — a city in central Iran roughly 500 kilometers from the Strait — reported five explosions, and three more were heard in the coastal city of Sirik. Explosions were also reported near Bushehr, home to Iran’s only civilian nuclear power plant, though no damage to the facility was confirmed.
The geographic expansion of the strike pattern to central Iran marks an escalation in the operational scope of the campaign. Earlier waves focused on Hormozgan province and military infrastructure in the south; reaching Yazd signals an extension of the target set toward the interior. Prior coverage of the strikes on bridges and port infrastructure is in US Strikes Hit Bridges, Port Tower in Southern Iran.
IRGC Strikes US Bases Across Six Gulf States
The IRGC claimed responsibility overnight for strikes against US military assets in Bahrain, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Jordan and Syria, Al Jazeera reported. Claimed targets included HIMARS launchers and weapons depots in Kuwait, helicopters and reconnaissance aircraft at Sakhir airbase in Bahrain, a US maritime surveillance radar in Oman, a UAV depot in Bahrain, and Al Udeid Air Base near Doha, where residents reported explosions before dawn Friday. The IRGC also claimed a hit on the al-Tanf garrison near the Iraq border.
The Iranian strike campaign against US Gulf positions began as a direct response to the resumed US air campaign and has now claimed activity across more than half the countries in the Gulf Cooperation Council. Full context is in IRGC Claims Strikes on US Bases Across Seven Countries.
Markets
Crude: Brent crude settled Friday at $85.95 per barrel, up more than 10 percent over seven days. WTI closed at $82.15, up roughly 4 percent on the day. The sustained Hormuz disruption continues to drive the weekly gain; analysts have noted the price reflects supply-route uncertainty rather than an outright halt, as roughly 11 percent of normal transit volume continues under US naval escort.
Gold: Spot gold ended the week near $3,991 per troy ounce — down sharply from the prior week despite escalating conflict. The move reflects a reduction in tail-risk premium: the extended but bounded US campaign has led markets to price an extended rather than widening conflict. The 10-year US Treasury yield closed at 4.55%, down from a two-month high of 4.62% earlier in the week.
Defense equities: Lockheed Martin (LMT) closed at $508.77, down 0.92%, on July 16. RTX closed at $193.51, down 0.44%. Both stocks have outperformed the broader market since the conflict began in late June but saw modest profit-taking into the weekend.
Secondary Fronts
MOU formally void: Iran declared the June 17 memorandum of understanding with Washington void on July 15, Al Jazeera reported. Parliament Speaker Ghalibaf declared Iran’s forces have “complete freedom of action.” Washington has not formally acknowledged the MOU as dead and Vice President Vance said publicly that talking with Iran remains “essential.”
Hormuz shipping: The Strait of Hormuz is operating at roughly 11 percent of pre-conflict transit volume — about 10 ships per day against a typical 88. Iran struck at least two commercial vessels this week. Iran has conditioned safe passage on ships using a northern Iranian-controlled route; no major tanker operator or war-risk insurer has complied. Full context in Strait of Hormuz Transits Collapse as Crude and LNG Shipments Halt.
Kuwait civilian infrastructure: Iran struck a power and water desalination plant in Kuwait, sparking a fire and damaging electricity generation units. Kuwait’s military reported several soldiers wounded and damage to both military and civilian facilities, ABC News reported. Full background in Iran Strike Hits Kuwait Desalination Plant.
IAEA nuclear standoff: Iran’s parliament formally bars IAEA inspectors from the bombed enrichment sites at Fordow, Natanz and Isfahan. IAEA Director-General Grossi has said inspections will happen but has set no deadline. The agency has told the UN Security Council it has lost continuity of knowledge across all of Iran’s declared nuclear facilities. Full analysis in Iran Blocks IAEA Access to Bombed Nuclear Sites as Fighting Resumes.
Qatar mediating: Qatar and Pakistan remain the active intermediaries. Doha hosted preliminary contacts in late June and early July; there has been no confirmed channel active since Iran declared the MOU void on July 15.
Russia/North Korea alignment: North Korea’s Kim Jong Un completed a high-level meeting with Chinese Politburo member Wang Huning in Pyongyang this week, reaffirming the Sino-North Korean strategic posture as Beijing monitors the Iran conflict. The EU separately sanctioned six Russian military-industrial entities over weapons supply chains linked to Iran and Ukraine.
What to Watch Tomorrow
- Whether Rezaei’s 48-72 hour deadline materializes in the form of new IRGC operations beyond the Gulf states — specifically whether “no political border will be secure” translates to operations in Turkey, Iraq, or outside the current theater.
- Whether Qatar or Pakistan confirms any active back-channel communication after Iran’s MOU void declaration — any signal of resumed contact would be the first since July 15.
- Whether US Central Command describes the Yazd and Sirik explosions in any official statement; confirmation of central-Iran targeting would represent a significant expansion of the publicly acknowledged US campaign scope.
What We’re Tracking But Haven’t Published On Yet
- The full US personnel casualty count from IRGC strikes on Gulf state bases. CENTCOM has confirmed completing its strikes but has not publicly addressed whether US troops were wounded at Al Udeid, Sakhir, or the Kuwait facilities.
- JD Vance’s “essential” talks language deserves a standalone piece: the internal administration debate between continuing airstrikes and maintaining a diplomatic track, and whether any faction is pushing for a pause.
- Commercial satellite imagery over Yazd and Sirik after the overnight strikes — if any open-source intelligence provider publishes imagery, it would give an independent read on what the US actually struck in central Iran.
Tips, corrections, or source leads: tips@americastrikes.com
— The America Strikes desk
Found this useful? Share it.
- APA.az — Continued US strikes risk 'full-scale' retaliatory attacks, IRGC official warns
- Al Jazeera — Iran says peace deal voided, fighting 'existential war' after US attacks
- Al Jazeera — US launches seventh straight night of strikes on Iran
- Al Jazeera — Gulf states come under Iranian fire as US strikes intensify
- Tasnim News — IRGC general vows continued retaliatory strikes until calm returns to southern Iran
- ABC News — How the US-Iran ceasefire and MOU broke down