Skip to content
● BreakingHouthis Claim Drone Strikes on Saudi Aramco, Najran Airport
Friday, Aug 21
AmericaStrikes
diplomacy

Trump Says He Expects to Meet Kim Jong Un Later This Year

Trump cited a 'good relationship' with Kim Jong Un while announcing a planned meeting, but Kim Yo-jong swiftly denied any secret US-North Korea diplomatic contacts.

Trump Says He Expects to Meet Kim Jong Un Later This Year
Photo: Elizabeth Fraser / Arlington National Cemetery / DVIDS / DVIDS · Public Domain (US Government work)
By David MitchellDiplomacy correspondent·Published ·2 min read

President Donald Trump said Tuesday he expects to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong Un before the end of the year, describing the two as having a “good relationship” — an announcement that Kim Jong Un’s sister quickly moved to complicate.

The statement, confirmed across Reuters, The Washington Post, Politico, Fox News, and Euronews, is the most direct public signal yet from the administration that it is actively seeking renewed engagement with Pyongyang.

Kim Yo-jong Pushes Back

The Guardian reported that Kim Yo-jong — Kim Jong Un’s younger sister and one of the most influential figures in North Korea’s government — publicly denied Trump’s claims of secret US-North Korea diplomatic contacts.

Kim Yo-jong has served as Pyongyang’s primary channel for signaling official policy toward Washington and Seoul. Her public statements on inter-Korean and US relations carry the weight of state-level position. Her denial does not definitively establish that no contact exists, but it places an official counter-narrative on the record.

The intervention follows a pattern. Earlier Tuesday, Kim Yo-jong also denied reports that 50,000 North Korean troops were headed to Russia — a separate demonstration of Pyongyang’s posture toward Western-sourced claims about its external activities.

The Announcement in Context

Trump’s “good relationship” framing is consistent with the personal diplomatic style he applied in his first term, when high-profile summits with Kim generated photographs and joint statements but did not produce binding arms-control commitments.

The announcement lands in a complex regional moment. China’s Foreign Minister Wang Yi was in Seoul this week for high-level talks that included discussions of Korean Peninsula security, as America Strikes reported. Any resumed US-North Korea engagement would almost certainly require at least tacit coordination with Beijing, which maintains substantial economic and political leverage over Pyongyang.

Meanwhile, US naval presence in the Asia-Pacific continues to carry signaling weight even as readiness questions surface. The USS Benfold, a Navy destroyer, endured a four-day engineering casualty in the South China Sea last month, leaving roughly 300 sailors without potable water, functioning toilets, galley services, or air conditioning — a disclosure that arrived the same day as Trump’s diplomatic announcement.

The administration’s foreign policy bandwidth is also stretched by events in the Middle East. The Iran ceasefire expiration has kept oil markets volatile and the Strait of Hormuz under watch. Whether Washington can sustain parallel diplomatic tracks — Iran, North Korea, and South China Sea tensions simultaneously — is an open question that regional partners in Seoul and Tokyo are watching closely.

What We Don’t Know

Trump’s announcement offers no timeline more specific than “later this year.” The administration has not publicly disclosed whether preparatory contacts — through intermediaries or direct channels — have taken place ahead of any formal meeting. Kim Yo-jong’s denial adds a complicating official voice from Pyongyang.

South Korean and Japanese government responses to Trump’s statement will be a key signal: if allied capitals express alignment, it suggests Washington has coordinated its approach; if responses are measured or cautious, it may indicate the announcement was not fully pre-cleared with partners who bear direct exposure to North Korean military activity.

No venue, agenda, or working-group framework has been publicly announced. Until one is, Trump’s statement remains an expression of intent rather than a scheduled diplomatic event.

David Mitchell covers diplomacy and international security for America Strikes.

Found this useful? Share it.