Trump, Rubio Reject Iran-Oman Hormuz Toll Framework
Iran and Oman are negotiating a permanent Strait of Hormuz toll system. Trump and Rubio publicly rejected the framework Friday as Tehran moves to formalize chokepoint control.
President Donald Trump and Secretary of State Marco Rubio publicly rejected an Iran-Oman framework to impose permanent tolls on shipping through the Strait of Hormuz on Friday, hours after CNBC reported that the two governments are negotiating a fee mechanism that would formalize Tehran’s claim to administer the world’s most critical oil chokepoint.
The framework under discussion, according to CNBC, would route a per-barrel or per-transit charge through an Iran-Oman administrative body, with Muscat acting as the nominal collector. The strait carries about 20% of global petroleum liquids and roughly a fifth of LNG trade on a normal day, per the US Energy Information Administration; institutionalizing a toll would convert what international law treats as a transit-passage right under the UN Convention on the Law of the Sea into a chargeable service controlled by the riparian states. Iran has signed but not ratified UNCLOS, per the UN treaty database, and has historically not enforced that gap. The toll proposal is the most concrete move in years to do so.
Trump, asked about the proposal Friday, said: “We want it open. We want it free. We don’t want tolls.” Rubio, speaking from the NATO foreign ministers meeting in Helsingborg, said “not a country in the world should accept” the toll scheme. NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte, standing alongside Rubio, said Iran was trying to “hold the global economy hostage” by leveraging the strait. The three statements landed within the same news cycle and represent the clearest joint US-NATO line yet on the question of who, if anyone, gets to charge for Hormuz transit.
The rejection sits awkwardly next to the diplomatic posture the same officials maintained earlier in the day. Rubio told reporters in Helsingborg there had been “some slight progress, I don’t want to exaggerate it” on the Iran nuclear and regional file, and used the same press availability to pitch a US-led “Maritime Freedom Construct” coalition for Hormuz operations. The coalition pitch and the toll rejection are coherent on paper — both reject Iranian sovereignty over the strait — but they pull in opposite directions on tempo. Coalition-building is months of work. A toll framework, if Tehran and Muscat sign it, can be announced in a press release.
The contradiction extends to the nuclear track. Mojtaba Khamenei, the supreme leader’s son named repeatedly in Western reporting on the current Tehran decision chain, has directed that Iran’s roughly 440-kilogram stockpile of 60%-enriched uranium remain inside the country, Al Jazeera reported Friday. Senior Iranian officials cited in the piece argued that shipping the stockpile out — the option Western negotiators have pressed since the original Khamenei directive surfaced yesterday — would leave Iran exposed to a follow-on strike with no deterrent inventory. The position directly contradicts the red line the Trump administration has held on highly enriched uranium retention since the talks restarted, a posture detailed in our coverage of Iran’s broader Hormuz pushback inside the negotiations.
Mediation continues in parallel. Pakistan Field Marshal Asim Munir arrived in Tehran on Friday for his second mediation visit of the cycle, greeted on the tarmac by Iranian Interior Minister Eskandar Momeni, per PressTV and the South China Morning Post. Rubio referenced the trip directly: “I believe the Pakistanis will be travelling to Tehran today. So hopefully that’ll advance this further.” Islamabad has emerged as a third-party channel with active standing in both capitals — a role Riyadh and Doha pursued earlier in the cycle and that, on the public record, has not produced the equivalent shuttle traffic.
Markets read the day as net-bullish on risk. Brent crude rose 1.89% to $104.52 a barrel, per Trading Economics, even as US officials projected optimism on the talks. The iShares US Aerospace & Defense ETF (ITA) closed at $225.21, up 0.9% on the session, per the Globe and Mail’s market recap. The split — oil bid and defense bid both holding into the close on a Friday — is the trade tape that has run through the entire crisis: dealers are not buying the “slight progress” framing on its face.
The toll rejection also lands on the same day as a second pressure track. Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control announced sanctions on 19 vessels and the Amin Exchange this morning under what officials are calling an “Economic Fury” designation tranche, the largest single-day maritime action of the crisis. Our coverage of the Treasury tranche details the targeted ghost-fleet network and the exchange’s role in laundering oil revenue. The two tracks — Treasury hitting Iranian shipping economics, State and the White House rejecting Iranian shipping sovereignty — are designed to converge on the same point: that Tehran has no recognized authority to extract value from the strait, by tax or by toll.
Whether that posture survives contact with the political calendar is the open question. The House returns from recess June 2 with the war powers vote still pending, and the UN Security Council Hormuz draft Russia and China have signaled they will veto comes back into play next week. A credible US response to the toll framework will need three things in short order: a coalition partner who has actually committed escort assets, a public legal position grounded in customary international law rather than a single Trump quote, and an answer for what happens if Oman signs the Iranian framework anyway.
What to watch: whether Oman publicly distances itself from the toll proposal in the next 48 hours; whether the Maritime Freedom Construct coalition draws a second named participant beyond the US; whether Munir leaves Tehran with a deliverable; and whether the UNSC Hormuz vote next week produces a Russian-Chinese veto that Tehran can cite as a green light to formalize the toll regardless of US objection.
The Daily Strike
One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.
No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.


