US Disables Two Iranian Tankers; Iran Strikes UAE
US Navy forces disabled two Iranian oil tankers in the Gulf of Oman as Iran launched missiles and drones at UAE targets, pushing Brent crude to $108 intraday.
US naval forces fired on and disabled two Iranian tankers in the Gulf of Oman on Thursday, the Pentagon confirmed, as Iran simultaneously launched missiles and drones against targets in the United Arab Emirates in one of the sharpest single-day escalations since the conflict began. The dual strikes shattered a fragile ceasefire narrative that both Washington and Tehran had been publicly maintaining, and sent Brent crude surging to an intraday high of $108.80 before closing at $101.29, with West Texas Intermediate settling near $96.
Naval Engagement in the Gulf of Oman
The US action marks at least the second episode in which American forces have disabled Iranian-flagged or Iranian-operated tankers operating in the region. Pentagon officials said the vessels were targeted after they were assessed to be engaged in sanctions-evasion shipping runs connected to Iran’s state oil revenues. Details on the precise method used — whether warning shots, disabling fire to propulsion systems, or boarding — had not been fully confirmed by press time.
Iran’s response came within hours. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps claimed responsibility for a missile and drone barrage directed at UAE infrastructure, which Emirati officials said was partially intercepted by air defense systems. Damage assessments were ongoing Thursday evening. The UAE has maintained a studied neutrality in the broader US-Iran standoff, making it a notable choice of target and likely calculated to signal Iran’s willingness to expand the theater of conflict beyond the Strait itself.
Iran Seizes Another Tanker
Separately, Iranian authorities seized the Barbados-flagged tanker Ocean Koi in what Tehran characterized as a counter-blockade measure. Iranian officials said the seizure was a direct response to what they described as efforts by the United States and its partners to disrupt Iranian oil exports. The Ocean Koi seizure follows a pattern of tit-for-tat interdictions that have made the Gulf of Oman and the approaches to the Strait of Hormuz among the most congested and contested waters in the world right now.
The Hormuz Toll Authority
Iran’s Persian Gulf Strait Authority, announced earlier this week, remained a flashpoint Thursday. The body, which Tehran says will administer tolls on commercial shipping transiting the Strait of Hormuz, drew immediate US warnings: the Treasury Department has indicated that any company or nation paying the toll could face sanctions exposure. The authority was already straining relations before Thursday’s exchanges; its continued operation now sits alongside active naval combat in the same narrow waterway.
For background on how Iran built the legal and bureaucratic scaffolding for the toll regime, see our earlier report: Iran Launches Persian Gulf Strait Authority to Administer Hormuz Permits.
Ceasefire in Name Only
President Trump, asked about the naval engagements at a White House event Thursday afternoon, insisted the ceasefire he announced last week remained formally in effect. “We have a ceasefire. It’s holding,” he said, without elaborating on how disabled tankers and missile strikes against a third-country ally fit within that framework.
Secretary of State Marco Rubio took a harder line, telling reporters that Iran would be “blown up” if it continued to target American personnel or assets. Neither statement resolved the central ambiguity: neither side has formally declared the ceasefire ended, yet both sides are conducting what amount to acts of war on the same day.
The background to that fragile arrangement: Trump issued a 48-hour ultimatum to Tehran earlier this month — see Trump’s Iran Ultimatum: Strike or Deal — after which a nominal pause took hold but was never codified in any signed document.
Peace Talks: Still No Response
Iran has not responded to a US one-page memorandum of understanding that Washington put forward as the basis for a broader negotiated settlement. Bloomberg reported Thursday that diplomats on both sides describe a nuclear breakthrough as “distant,” and that the MOU itself has not advanced beyond the informal channel through which it was transmitted. US and Iranian negotiators have met in Oman, but no date for a follow-on session has been set publicly.
Iran’s President Masoud Pezeshkian has signaled that Tehran would require a verifiable end to the US naval blockade before any formal talks could begin — a position he is reported to have reaffirmed in a meeting with Mojtaba Khamenei, the Supreme Leader’s son and a significant internal power center. Details on that internal deliberation are here: Pezeshkian Sets Blockade Withdrawal as Precondition After Mojtaba Meeting.
Washington’s position, as conveyed through the MOU framework, does not include a commitment to end interdiction operations before an agreement is reached — see our earlier analysis: US-Iran MOU Deal Talks and the Nuclear Moratorium Question. That gap between the two opening positions is where diplomacy has stalled.
Trump-Xi Summit: Iran Moves to the Top of the Agenda
The flare-up complicates an already loaded diplomatic calendar. A Trump-Xi summit confirmed for May 14–15 was originally expected to focus on tariff negotiations and a rare-earths access deal, but analysts and officials told CNBC that the Iran crisis will now dominate the agenda. China has continued to purchase Iranian oil at discounted rates throughout the conflict, providing Tehran with a revenue lifeline that US sanctions have not fully severed. Whether Trump presses Xi to curtail those purchases — and whether Beijing offers anything in return — may determine how much financial pressure Iran is actually under as these military exchanges continue.
Market Reaction
Oil traders interpreted Thursday’s events as evidence that the ceasefire cannot hold. Brent’s intraday spike to $108.80 was the highest print since the early days of the conflict before closing at $101.29, reflecting some residual hope that escalation would be contained. WTI settled near $96. Shipping insurance premiums for tankers transiting the Gulf of Oman continued to rise; several European carriers have rerouted vessels around the Cape of Good Hope rather than attempt Hormuz passage, adding roughly ten days to delivery schedules for Persian Gulf crude bound for European refiners.
What Comes Next
Both governments are now in a position where each military action generates domestic political pressure to respond in kind, while neither has formally declared the ceasefire void. The seizure of the Ocean Koi, the missile and drone attack on the UAE, and the US disabling of two tankers all occurred within a single operational day — the kind of compression that makes de-escalation harder with each passing hour.
The Oman channel remains the only active diplomatic back-channel. Whether it survives the events of May 8 is the central question heading into the weekend.
The Daily Strike
One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.
No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.


