Hegseth Affirms Ceasefire as Iran Warns of 'New Equation'
Defense Secretary says US-Iran ceasefire holds despite 10+ attacks on US forces, as Iranian parliament speaker warns Tehran has 'not even begun' its Hormuz response.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth told reporters at the Pentagon on Tuesday that the US-Iran ceasefire remains in effect, even as he acknowledged Iran had fired on commercial vessels nine times and attacked American forces more than ten times since April 7. Hegseth characterized the incidents as falling “below the threshold of restarting major combat operations,” a formulation that underscores how carefully both sides are managing the line between sustained low-level conflict and full-scale war. Source: CNBC
The briefing came on the same day Iranian parliament speaker Mohammad Ghalibaf issued a pointed warning in Tehran. “A new equation in the Strait of Hormuz is in the process of being solidified,” Ghalibaf said, adding that Iran has “not even begun yet” in terms of its capacity to respond. The divergence between Hegseth’s ceasefire affirmation and Ghalibaf’s escalatory language captures the core instability of the current moment: both governments are simultaneously talking and fighting, with each side insisting the other bears responsibility for the impasse. Source: CNBC
Diplomacy Moves Through Pakistan Backchannel
Behind the public posturing, negotiations are continuing. Iran is currently reviewing a US counter-proposal delivered through the Pakistan backchannel, a route that has served as the primary line of indirect communication since formal diplomatic contact broke down. President Trump told reporters that his team is having “very positive discussions” with Tehran — a notably softer tone than his statements earlier in the week and a rhetorical shift that analysts say may be intended to give Iranian negotiators political cover to engage. Source: UPI
The contours of the current negotiating positions remain contested. Iran submitted a 14-point counter-proposal last week that Washington has signaled it finds unworkable on several points. See: Iran’s 14-point counter-proposal and Trump’s initial rejection signal. The administration has since submitted its own revised counter-proposal, and Tehran’s formal response is pending.
Trump separately transmitted a war powers notification to Congress asserting that major hostilities have been terminated, a move that carries legal significance under the War Powers Resolution but has been questioned by some lawmakers who point to the ongoing attacks in the Strait as evidence that hostilities remain active. See: Trump war powers letter to Congress
UAE Hit by Missile and Drone Barrage
Even as Hegseth spoke about maintaining the ceasefire framework, the United Arab Emirates absorbed a second consecutive day of Iranian missile and drone strikes. According to Al Jazeera, Iran launched 12 ballistic missiles, three cruise missiles, and four drones against UAE territory on May 4 and 5. A strike on the Fujairah Petroleum Industries Zone triggered a fire that injured three Indian nationals. Source: Al Jazeera
The UAE said it reserves “the full and legitimate right to respond.” Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Kuwait, Bahrain, and Jordan all issued condemnations. The strikes on Fujairah — a major bunkering hub on the Gulf of Oman — represent a significant geographic expansion of the conflict zone, bringing it to the eastern coast of the UAE rather than the more commonly targeted Gulf-facing ports.
The attacks also raise the question of coalition coherence. Gulf states have largely remained on the sidelines of direct military involvement, but sustained strikes on UAE infrastructure may pressure Emirati leadership toward a more active posture — either independently or in coordination with American forces already operating in the region. The USS Truxtun and USS Mason transit of the Strait of Hormuz under fire last weekend demonstrated the operational risks US naval forces continue to accept in the waterway.
Oil Pulls Back on Ceasefire News, But Disruption Deepens
Oil markets responded directly to Hegseth’s briefing. West Texas Intermediate fell roughly 4 percent to below $102 per barrel, and Brent crude settled near $112.90, retreating from Monday’s surge to $114.44 — a 2026 high driven by a 5.8 percent single-session gain as the Fujairah strikes rattled energy traders. Source: CNN
The price pullback reflects the market’s reading that a diplomatic off-ramp remains possible, but the underlying disruption to Strait of Hormuz shipping has not eased. Approximately 20,000 seafarers remain stranded on roughly 2,000 vessels in or near the Strait, unable to transit safely. Only 111 vessel transits of 10,000 deadweight tons or more occurred in recent weeks, a fraction of normal traffic volume. Source: CNN
Lloyd’s war risk premiums have reached $10 to $14 million per voyage, representing 1.5 to 3 percent of vessel value for a single passage. Despite those figures, the primary driver of reduced traffic is not insurance unavailability but operator safety assessments. Shipping companies are declining to transit regardless of whether coverage is available. Source: Lloyd’s
Approximately 20 percent of global oil trade passes through the Strait. A prolonged partial closure does not merely affect spot prices — it compresses refinery intake schedules, delays cargo delivery windows, and forces rerouting around the Cape of Good Hope, adding two to three weeks to voyage times and further tightening global supply.
The Threshold Question
Hegseth’s “below the threshold” framing deserves scrutiny. More than ten attacks on American forces is a significant number of hostile engagements for a period nominally governed by a ceasefire. The Defense Department’s position appears to be that none of the individual incidents, nor their cumulative pattern, has met the administration’s internal criteria for resuming the strikes that characterized Operation Project Freedom. See: Trump rejects Iran peace proposal and threatens escalation
Whether that threshold holds depends substantially on the outcome of the Pakistan-mediated negotiating channel. If Iran’s review of the American counter-proposal yields a productive response, Hegseth’s formulation gives both sides a face-saving path toward a more durable arrangement. If the talks collapse, the accumulation of incidents the Defense Secretary has already acknowledged provides a ready-made record of Iranian aggression — and a basis for renewed escalation.
Ghalibaf’s statement that Iran has “not even begun yet” suggests Tehran calculates it retains significant coercive leverage it has not yet deployed. That leverage — whether in the form of additional Strait disruption, strikes on Gulf infrastructure, or other asymmetric action — is the variable neither side’s public posture fully accounts for.
The Daily Strike
One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.
No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.


