Friday, May 22 About
AmericaStrikes
iran middle east

IRGC Warns of 'Long, Painful Strikes' on US Gulf Positions

A senior IRGC official threatened sustained retaliation against US Gulf-region bases if Washington launches new strikes, hours after Trump was briefed on three military options against Iran.

IRGC Warns of 'Long, Painful Strikes' on US Gulf Positions
Photo: Kaveh Keshtiara / Pexels · Pexels License
By Mariam Khalil Iran and Middle East correspondent · Published · 3 min read

A senior Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps official warned Friday that any renewed US military action against Iran — even a limited strike — would trigger “long, painful” retaliatory attacks on American military positions across the Gulf region, according to Al Jazeera. The threat arrived within hours of reporting that CENTCOM chief Admiral Brad Cooper and Joint Chiefs Chairman General Dan Caine had briefed President Trump on multiple strike packages targeting Iranian infrastructure, the Strait of Hormuz, and the country’s enriched uranium stockpile.

The Warning

The IRGC official did not name specific targets but emphasized that US installations in Saudi Arabia, the UAE, Qatar, and Iraq would fall within the scope of any response. The statement was framed as a deterrent aimed at Washington’s deliberations, not a declaration of imminent action.

“If America renews its aggression, even on a limited scale, the response will be neither limited nor brief,” the official said, per Al Jazeera. The phrasing echoed language used by IRGC commanders after previous US and Israeli strikes on Iranian territory.

The IRGC is Iran’s parallel military force, constitutionally charged with protecting the Islamic Republic’s political order and controlling the country’s ballistic-missile and drone arsenals. A fuller breakdown of its structure and doctrine is available in the IRGC explainer.

What Trump Was Briefed On

Axios reported Thursday that Cooper and Caine presented Trump with three distinct options:

  1. Infrastructure wave — described internally as a “short and powerful” series of strikes on power generation, oil export terminals, and military logistics nodes.
  2. Hormuz seizure — a naval and special-operations option to assert US control over the strait, which has been functionally closed to normal commercial traffic for roughly three months. Coverage of earlier briefings on the Hormuz option is here: CENTCOM briefed Trump on Hormuz seizure.
  3. HEU special-forces raid — a covert-action package designed to physically secure or remove Iran’s stockpile of highly enriched uranium before it could be weaponized or dispersed.

No decision has been publicly announced. A senior administration official told Axios the president “received the briefings and asked questions” but did not authorize any action.

Peace Proposal Rejected

On May 1, Trump rejected Iran’s most recent diplomatic overture as “insufficient,” without detailing what specific terms he found inadequate. The rejection narrows the diplomatic track that had been running in parallel with military planning. Iran had reportedly offered partial limits on uranium enrichment in exchange for phased sanctions relief and a suspension of US military posture changes in the Gulf — terms the administration dismissed without a counter-proposal.

That follows a pattern: Trump also rejected an earlier Hormuz-linked deal in late April, a decision that contributed to Brent crude’s climb above $120 at the time.

Sanctions Escalation

Separately, the State Department announced sanctions Friday against a network of six individuals and 21 entities — a mix of Chinese and Iranian nationals and front companies — accused of facilitating Iran’s illicit oil trade. The designations target ship-to-ship transfer operations in the Gulf of Oman and petroleum product brokers in Hong Kong and the UAE.

The action is consistent with a broader Treasury and State Department campaign to close the oil revenue channels Iran has used to fund missile and drone production. Earlier OFAC warnings on Hormuz-related sanctions exposure are covered here: OFAC toll sanctions warning.

Oil Markets

Brent crude held above $111 per barrel on Friday, with WTI near $106, as the Hormuz closure entered its third month. Prices have moderated from the mid-cycle peak above $126 but remain elevated enough to generate significant political pressure on Gulf Arab partners who depend on export revenues. Any kinetic escalation — whether initiated by the US or triggered by an Iranian first-response — would likely push Brent back above $120, according to market analysts tracking the corridor.

What Comes Next

The convergence of military briefings, a rejected peace proposal, expanded sanctions, and a direct IRGC deterrent statement represents the most compressed escalation sequence since initial US strikes began. The IRGC warning is calibrated to raise the cost calculus inside the Trump administration before a decision is made, but such statements have historically not prevented US military action when political conditions favored it.

Trump’s public posture — rejecting the peace proposal while declining to immediately authorize strikes — suggests an administration that has not yet settled on a path. The IRGC’s message is aimed at that window of uncertainty.

Subscribe

The Daily Strike

One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.

No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.