IAEA Chief Grossi: Iran's Uranium Stockpile Likely Survived Strikes
IAEA Director General Grossi says Iran's enriched uranium stockpile is probably intact inside Isfahan's underground complex, complicating US claims of successful denuclearization.
IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi said Iran’s stockpile of highly enriched uranium is “most likely” still intact inside the hardened underground complex at Isfahan, telling Foreign Policy on April 29 that the agency has seen no evidence the material was destroyed or removed by U.S. and Israeli strikes. The assessment directly undercuts administration statements that the military campaign significantly set back Iran’s nuclear program.
Grossi said the IAEA is relying on satellite imagery and pre-blackout inventory records rather than on-site verification. Iran’s four declared enrichment facilities have been closed to IAEA inspectors since mid-2025, leaving the agency with no direct view of what the strikes actually hit — or missed.
What the Grossi Statement Says
Grossi’s remarks to Foreign Policy were measured but unambiguous on the core point: the agency has no evidence the Isfahan stockpile was destroyed, and underground tunnel infrastructure at the site significantly limits what aerial imagery can confirm. He said the agency’s working assumption — absent evidence of destruction — is that the material survived.
Iran declared 440.9 kilograms of uranium enriched to 60% purity as of its last reported inventory. A meaningful portion of that stockpile had been moved underground at Isfahan prior to the outbreak of hostilities in early 2026, according to earlier IAEA assessments based on satellite surveillance. Enrichment to weapons-grade from 60% requires additional centrifuge work but is technically the shorter step; the bulk of the effort lies in the early enrichment stages Iran has already completed.
Grossi did not claim the stockpile is definitively untouched. He said the IAEA cannot confirm destruction — a distinction that is consequential in arms-control terms. A claim that something survived requires evidence. A claim that it was destroyed also requires evidence. The agency currently has neither, which is itself the finding.
The Access Blackout
The IAEA has had no inspector access to any of Iran’s four declared enrichment facilities since mid-2025. The monitoring breakdown — detailed in the agency’s own public statements and previously reported here — means Grossi’s assessment is based entirely on open-source and technical intelligence rather than the safeguards verification procedures the agency was designed to conduct.
That gap matters for any eventual accounting. The declared 440.9 kg figure is what Iran last reported to the IAEA. Centrifuge cascades do not stop because inspectors leave. If enrichment continued during the blackout period — and there is no confirmed evidence it did not — the declared stockpile figure is a floor, not a ceiling. Iran could have more material, at higher enrichment levels, than its last declaration reflects.
The ceasefire signed on April 7 did not include a provision restoring IAEA access. The White House told Congress this week that hostilities have “terminated” under War Powers Act criteria, a claim disputed by Senators Susan Collins and Rand Paul and by constitutional scholars who note that the U.S. naval blockade remains active. Iran has stated it will not engage in nuclear talks while the blockade continues.
What the Administration Has Said
Senior administration officials, including Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, have cited the strike campaign as having “significantly degraded” Iran’s nuclear infrastructure. The White House’s War Powers notification to Congress characterized hostilities as effectively concluded.
Grossi’s remarks complicate that framing. The IAEA director general is not a political actor; his institution’s credibility depends on technical precision. When he says the stockpile is likely intact, that is a technical finding stated in the language of verification uncertainty — not a political counter-narrative. The discrepancy between administration statements and the IAEA’s working assessment is now on the record.
Iran’s new Supreme Leader has declared the country’s nuclear and missile programs “non-negotiable national assets.” That position, combined with Grossi’s assessment that the material base for those programs survived the strikes, describes a military campaign that inflicted significant costs on Iran without eliminating the proliferation concern that justified it.
Peace Talks and the Nuclear Question
The nuclear file is at the center of the stalled diplomacy. Trump rejected Iran’s latest peace proposal on May 1, saying he was “not satisfied” with the terms Tehran transmitted through Pakistani mediators. Administration officials have indicated the unresolved nuclear question is a core obstacle: Washington has conditioned any sanctions relief or military drawdown on verifiable constraints on Iran’s enrichment program.
If the Isfahan stockpile survived, that condition becomes harder to satisfy. Any deal that claims to have resolved the nuclear question must account for the material Grossi says is likely still there. An agreement that does not include immediate IAEA access — with full inventory reconciliation before any measures take effect — would leave the status of that stockpile unresolved. Grossi has said publicly that even under cooperative conditions, a full baseline reconciliation would take months.
The OFAC sanctions package announced May 1, which targeted 27 entities including Iranian currency exchange houses and front companies in China, the UAE, and the United Kingdom, addressed Iran’s war-financing networks. It did not address the nuclear file directly. The two tracks — economic pressure and nuclear accountability — remain procedurally separate, with no announced mechanism for linking them in any eventual settlement.
Oil Markets and Risk Premiums
Energy markets have tracked diplomatic developments closely. Brent crude touched $126 per barrel mid-week before retreating to approximately $109 after Iran’s peace proposal became public. WTI fell 3.8% on May 1 to $101. ING estimates that the conflict has disrupted 14 million barrels per day of supply, with a cumulative loss of roughly 850 million barrels since hostilities began.
The Grossi statement is not the kind of development that moves crude in a single session. Its significance is structural: it shapes what a deal would need to contain to be credible, and therefore what kind of deal is actually achievable. A settlement that leaves the nuclear question unresolved — or that accepts Iranian assurances without IAEA verification — would be unlikely to produce the durable Hormuz reopening that energy markets need to normalize.
What Remains Unknown
The fundamental uncertainty in Grossi’s assessment is the one he cannot resolve from Vienna: what the strikes actually hit. The IAEA does not have the strike targeting data. The intelligence agencies that selected the aim points know what they aimed at; whether the underground infrastructure at Isfahan sustained decisive damage to the material stored there is a question only inspectors with physical access can answer.
Until that access is restored — through a negotiated agreement, a ceasefire add-on, or unilateral Iranian cooperation — the 440-kilogram question identified by Grossi remains open. The most likely outcome, on current trajectory, is that it stays open through whatever negotiations eventually produce an agreement, becoming one more contested variable in a deal that will be imperfect in several directions at once.
IAEA Director General statement cited from Foreign Policy, April 29, 2026. Oil price figures reflect May 1 market data. ING supply-disruption estimate from published firm research.
The Daily Strike
One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.
No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.


