Skip to content
● BreakingHouthis Claim Drone Strikes on Saudi Aramco, Najran Airport
Friday, Aug 21
AmericaStrikes
iran middle east

Yemen's Mocha Port Closed After Houthi Missile Barrage Kills Seven

Houthis fired more than 25 missiles and drones at Yemen's Red Sea port of Mocha, killing seven and forcing the terminal shut with $16M in reported damage.

Yemen's Mocha Port Closed After Houthi Missile Barrage Kills Seven
Photo: Senior Airman Leighton Lucero / 4th Fighter Wing / DVIDS / DVIDS · Public Domain (US Government work)
America Strikes Desk·Published ·2 min read

Yemen’s Red Sea port of Mocha has been closed after a sustained Houthi missile and drone barrage that killed at least seven people and caused an estimated $16 million in damage, the port’s director told a news conference on Saturday, The Jerusalem Post reported. The Iran-aligned Houthi movement launched more than 25 projectiles at the terminal, which is held by Saudi-backed forces on Yemen’s southwestern coast.

What we know

The port director, cited by regional outlets, said the barrage exceeded 25 missiles and drones and forced an immediate suspension of operations at the Red Sea terminal. Seven people were killed and losses were put at roughly $16 million.

Al Jazeera reported that the Houthi strikes hit both al-Makha — the alternate transliteration of Mocha — and Marib further inland, killing at least four and injuring eight in the wider wave. Saudi-aligned Yemeni forces described the assault as one of the heaviest against Mocha since the current phase of fighting began.

Houthi-aligned outlets framed the strikes as targeting “Saudi-linked mercenary concentrations” in Mokha and Marib, Tehran Times reported, with the Yemeni Armed Forces claiming ballistic-missile and drone salvos against military positions across both areas.

What we don’t know

Casualty figures diverge between the port director’s account (seven dead) and Al Jazeera’s tally for the combined Mocha–Marib wave (four dead, eight wounded), and neither has been independently reconciled. The extent of damage to port infrastructure — cranes, storage, moored vessels — has not been detailed publicly. There is no confirmed Saudi or coalition response yet. This is a developing story.

Context

Mocha sits on Yemen’s Red Sea coast north of the Bab el-Mandeb strait and is one of the few functioning ports still under the control of Saudi- and UAE-aligned Yemeni forces. Its closure removes a working outlet from the anti-Houthi bloc’s already thin logistics chain and adds fresh pressure to a corridor that has been under near-continuous Houthi harassment for months.

The strike is the latest escalation in a Houthi campaign that has repeatedly reached beyond Yemen this summer, including a fatal missile hit on a ship in the Bab el-Mandeb, a drone strike on the Aramco Jazan refinery, and the sinking of an Indian-flagged vessel earlier this month. The Mocha closure lands as Iran and its regional proxies continue to squeeze Red Sea and Hormuz shipping lanes simultaneously.

What to watch

  1. Whether the Saudi-led coalition mounts retaliatory strikes on Houthi launch sites in the coming 24 hours.
  2. Insurance-market response — additional-premium notices for Red Sea and Bab el-Mandeb hulls typically follow port-closure events within one to two trading days.
  3. Any US Fifth Fleet or CENTCOM statement, given the port’s proximity to the Bab el-Mandeb chokepoint patrolled by US and allied warships.

Found this useful? Share it.