Friday, May 22 About
AmericaStrikes
diplomacy

Iran Warns France, UK of 'Decisive Response' Over Hormuz Warships

Tehran says any move by France's Charles de Gaulle carrier or Royal Navy ships into the Strait of Hormuz will be met immediately; IRGC claims missiles are locked onto U.S. targets.

Iran Warns France, UK of 'Decisive Response' Over Hormuz Warships
Photo: Hadi Karimi / Wikimedia Commons · CC BY 3.0
By David Mitchell Diplomacy correspondent · Published · 3 min read

Iran issued direct military warnings to France and Britain on Sunday, threatening a “decisive, immediate response” if the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle or Royal Navy warships enter the Strait of Hormuz, while the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps announced that its missiles and drones are “locked onto American targets in the region.”

The warnings mark a significant escalation in the naval dimension of the crisis, pulling European powers into a confrontation that has already seen U.S.-Iran diplomatic talks collapse and Emirati air defenses engage Iranian missiles and drones.

The French Carrier and the Iranian Warning

Iranian Deputy Foreign Minister Ali Bagheri Kani specifically named the Charles de Gaulle in remarks reported by ANI News, warning Paris that deploying the carrier toward the strait would trigger an immediate military response. France’s defense ministry had confirmed earlier this week that the Charles de Gaulle carrier strike group is transiting toward the region, with officials framing the move as an effort to “restore confidence among shipowners” after weeks of shipping disruptions and insurance cost spikes across the Persian Gulf.

Iran’s Foreign Ministry summoned the French and British ambassadors separately to deliver the warnings in person, according to Iranian state media.

The deployment comes as Qatar successfully completed the first liquefied natural gas transit through Hormuz under what officials described as a safety corridor arrangement, a sign that some commercial traffic is attempting to normalize even as the military situation deteriorates.

IRGC: Missiles Locked, Tankers Protected

The Revolutionary Guard’s Navy Command issued a statement warning that any military strike on Iranian oil tankers or commercial vessels would result in “a heavy assault against one of the American centres in the region and the enemy’s ships,” according to the Tribune of India. The IRGC Aerospace Force said its missile and drone batteries are “locked onto American targets” throughout the region.

The statement explicitly linked the protection of Iranian commercial shipping to the threat of direct strikes on U.S. military installations and naval assets — an escalation of deterrence language that goes beyond previous warnings focused on closing the strait itself.

The IRGC warning arrives one day after President Trump rejected Iran’s ceasefire response as “totally unacceptable,” delivered through Pakistani intermediaries, raising the prospect of further U.S. military pressure rather than a diplomatic off-ramp.

Cargo Vessel Hit by Drone Near Qatar

The same day the warnings were issued, a drone struck a cargo ship approximately 23 nautical miles northeast of Qatar’s Mesaieed port, causing a contained onboard fire, according to Fortune. The vessel’s crew reported the fire was brought under control and no casualties were announced. Iranian state media did not claim responsibility, and U.S. Central Command had not publicly attributed the strike as of Sunday evening.

The incident is the latest in a series of attacks on commercial shipping in the broader Gulf region. The UAE reported its air defense batteries intercepted Iranian-origin missiles and drones in a separate incident, detailed in coverage of that confrontation.

Insurance underwriters have suspended new policy issuance for transits through the strait pending a reassessment of risk, according to London market sources cited by shipping industry outlets. Spot freight rates on Gulf routes have risen sharply since the disruptions began earlier this month.

European Stakes in Hormuz

France and Britain have significant economic interests in Hormuz passage. European refiners import substantial volumes of Gulf crude, and both countries have nationals serving aboard commercial vessels that regularly transit the strait. The deployment of the Charles de Gaulle — a nuclear-powered carrier with a full air wing — represents the most capable European naval asset currently deployable in the theater.

Neither London nor Paris had issued a formal response to Iran’s warning as of the time of publication. NATO has not convened emergency consultations, though alliance officials have been in contact with both capitals.

The U.S. position, as articulated in the Trump-Xi summit framework, has been to coordinate a multinational naval presence to guarantee freedom of navigation — a position Beijing has declined to endorse publicly, complicating any coalition that might backstop European deployments diplomatically.

What Comes Next

The collision of Iranian deterrence warnings and European force projection creates a situation with few historical precedents in the modern era of the strait’s operation. The 1987–1988 Tanker War saw the U.S. Navy directly escort Kuwaiti tankers under Operation Earnest Will, but European navies played peripheral roles. A French carrier operating in contested waters against explicit Iranian warnings would be a categorically different scenario.

Military analysts note that Iran’s decision to name the Charles de Gaulle specifically — rather than issuing a generic warning about foreign warships — suggests Tehran has detailed awareness of the carrier’s movement and is making a deliberate political choice to signal resolve. Whether that resolve translates into action against a major NATO member’s capital ship remains the central unanswered question as the crisis enters its most dangerous phase.

Subscribe

The Daily Strike

One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.

No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.