Iran Sends Response to US War-Ending Proposal via Pakistan
Tehran transmitted its answer to Washington's 14-point framework through Pakistani mediators on May 10, as parallel diplomatic tracks through Qatar, China, and the UN converge this week.
Iran formally transmitted its response to Washington’s 14-point war-ending framework through Pakistani intermediaries on Sunday, May 10, according to Al Jazeera, marking the first time Tehran has given a direct, official answer to the US proposal since talks accelerated through back-channels last week. Neither Iran nor the United States disclosed which elements of the framework Iran accepted, which it rejected, or what counterterms, if any, it proposed.
The transmission arrives against a dense diplomatic backdrop: a secret meeting between senior US officials and Qatar’s prime minister in Miami, China pressing Iran to reopen the Strait of Hormuz ahead of a Trump-Xi summit next week, a pending UN Security Council vote on Hormuz access, and continuing IRGC escalatory rhetoric on the military track even as the diplomatic track quietly advances.
What Tehran has said publicly
Iranian officials have drawn a consistent public line in the days leading to Sunday’s transmission: any first-stage talks should address only the cessation of hostilities, not the nuclear file. The US framework, sometimes called the “Project Freedom Plus” memorandum of understanding reported in detail last week, requires Tehran to halt uranium enrichment for twelve years and surrender approximately 440 kilograms of 60-percent-enriched uranium — a stock Iran considers leverage in any negotiation, not an opening concession.
Iranian Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi has said repeatedly that the nuclear question is a separate track that cannot be conflated with a ceasefire agreement. The sequencing dispute — whether a hostilities halt and a nuclear freeze can proceed together or must be staggered — is the central sticking point the Pakistani transmission is expected to address, though neither side has confirmed its contents.
The Miami back-channel
While the public diplomatic frame was being set in place, Secretary of State Marco Rubio and special envoy Steve Witkoff held a private meeting with Qatari Prime Minister Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani in Miami, according to Axios. Qatar has served as the primary channel between Washington and Tehran for years, including during the 2024 prisoner exchange talks, and Doha has a specific interest in resolution: a bulk carrier was struck 23 nautical miles northeast of Doha on Sunday morning, extending the kinetic conflict into inner Gulf waters where Qatari LNG infrastructure sits.
The Miami meeting was not publicly announced and its agenda was not disclosed. Axios reported it focused on the contours of an Iran memorandum of understanding. Its timing — the day before Iran transmitted its formal response — suggests Doha was being used to calibrate Washington’s expectations before Tehran’s answer arrived.
Qatar’s warning to Iran on Hormuz
Qatar’s prime minister separately delivered a public message to Iranian Foreign Minister Araghchi on Sunday: weaponizing the Strait of Hormuz as a pressure card in negotiations “will only deepen the crisis,” not accelerate a resolution, per Al Jazeera’s live blog. The statement is notable because Doha is simultaneously the most active diplomatic intermediary between Washington and Tehran and an economy whose LNG export routes depend on strait access. Qatar’s PM is warning Iran that closure of Hormuz would remove the commercial and financial leverage Doha can deploy as a peacemaker.
The first LNG tanker to transit Hormuz since the conflict escalated cleared the strait on Sunday, a development that carries both commercial and symbolic weight for Doha’s position.
China presses Iran ahead of Trump-Xi summit
Beijing has added its own pressure. Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi met Araghchi in Beijing on May 6 and pressed Iran to reopen Hormuz, according to CNBC. China is the largest single buyer of Iranian crude oil, and prolonged Hormuz closure disrupts Beijing’s energy supply chains regardless of its political alignment with Tehran.
The stakes for China extend into next week’s summit calendar. President Trump and President Xi are scheduled to meet May 14–15 in Beijing, CNBC reported, with the Iran conflict dominating the foreign-policy agenda. Analysts cited in that report said Iran’s intransigence on Hormuz complicates Xi’s ability to present the summit as productive on trade and rare-earth issues, which gives Beijing an unusual incentive to push Tehran toward at least a partial de-escalation before May 14.
The UN Security Council track
The United States and Gulf Cooperation Council member states have co-sponsored a draft resolution under Chapter VII of the UN Charter that would require Iran to restore freedom of navigation through Hormuz, Al Jazeera reported. A vote is scheduled for early in the week of May 11. Chapter VII resolutions authorize enforcement measures by member states if the target country does not comply.
Russia and China both hold permanent Security Council veto power and have not publicly stated whether they will support, abstain, or oppose the draft. China’s willingness to veto a resolution on Hormuz access — given that Beijing is simultaneously pressing Iran to reopen the strait — would be a direct contradiction of its stated diplomatic position, a tension that has not been publicly resolved. The vote timeline overlaps with Iran’s transmitted response, creating the possibility that whatever Tehran’s answer contains will be read against a simultaneous UN pressure measure.
Congress and the authorization question
On the domestic US side, the House of Representatives failed by a single vote — 213 to 214 — to pass a resolution invoking the War Powers Act to require congressional authorization for continued US military action against Iran, NBC News reported. The Trump administration has maintained that the hostilities are “terminated” and that the War Powers clock is therefore moot, a legal claim the resolution’s sponsors contest. The one-vote margin signals deep congressional unease without providing a legal constraint on the administration’s operational posture.
The IRGC’s parallel track
None of the diplomatic activity has quieted the IRGC’s public posture. The IRGC Aerospace Force commander said Iranian missiles and drones are “locked” on US ships in the region and “awaiting the order to fire,” per Al-Monitor and Al Jazeera’s live blog. The UAE air defense engagement of Iranian ballistic missiles and drones on Saturday demonstrated that the kinetic track is live even as negotiators exchange paper.
Whether the IRGC’s posture is coordinated with the diplomatic track — designed to give Iran negotiating leverage — or reflects a genuine disconnect between the Revolutionary Guard and the Foreign Ministry is not publicly known. The historical record of Iran’s parallel tracks suggests the two can operate simultaneously without one necessarily controlling the other.
What happens next
The sequence of events now running in parallel over the next five days is unusually compressed. Iran’s formal response is in US hands as of Sunday. The UNSC Chapter VII vote is expected before the end of the week of May 11. The Trump-Xi Beijing summit opens May 14. Each of those events shapes the context for the others: a positive Iranian response makes the UNSC vote less urgent; a negative one raises pressure for it. A productive Trump-Xi summit depends partly on whether Iran’s answer gives Beijing a reason to support or abstain on the UN measure rather than veto it.
What Iran’s response actually says — which parts of the 14-point US framework it engaged with and which it declined — will determine whether the elaborate diplomatic architecture that has been assembled around this moment has a foundation to work with.
The Daily Strike
One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.
No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.


