Trump Posts 'No More Mr. Nice Guy,' Cancels Islamabad Talks
Trump rejected Iran's Hormuz proposal, canceled Pakistan-mediated talks, and threatened an extended blockade as Brent crude held above $114 for an eighth straight session.
President Trump posted a photo of himself paired with a handgun graphic and the caption “No More Mr. Nice Guy” on Tuesday, publicly declaring the end of any goodwill negotiating posture toward Iran hours after the administration confirmed it had called off a Pakistan-brokered back-channel meeting in Islamabad, according to The National News. The president also said the U.S. naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz could be extended indefinitely if Tehran failed to present an acceptable nuclear offer.
The dual announcement — scrapping talks while signaling a prolonged blockade — came the same day the International Atomic Energy Agency chief told the Associated Press that Iran likely holds roughly 200 kilograms of 60-percent-enriched uranium in tunnels near Isfahan that have been beyond IAEA inspector access since June 2025, the AP reported. At that enrichment level, a further technical step — not a political one — separates the stockpile from weapons-grade material.
What Iran Proposed — and What Trump Rejected
Iran’s most recent offer, presented through intermediaries in the days before the Islamabad session was scheduled, proposed a phased reopening of the Strait in exchange for a suspension of U.S. airstrikes and a partial easing of sanctions. Critically, the offer excluded any concession on uranium enrichment or centrifuge counts, according to Al Jazeera and Reuters reporting on the proposal’s contents.
The Trump administration rejected the terms outright. Senior officials told reporters the administration’s position remains that any interim deal must include at minimum a verified freeze on enrichment above five percent and immediate reinstatement of IAEA access to disputed sites — conditions Tehran had refused to accept in earlier rounds of diplomacy.
The Islamabad channel had been organized by Pakistani Foreign Ministry intermediaries and represented one of the few functioning back-channel formats still available after European Union-sponsored talks in Geneva collapsed in March. Its cancellation leaves no publicly confirmed alternative venue.
The IAEA Stockpile Assessment
IAEA Director General Rafael Grossi told the AP that the Isfahan tunnel complex — a hardened underground facility that Iran began expanding after the 2020 assassination of nuclear scientist Mohsen Fakhrizadeh — almost certainly contains the uninspected enriched material. Grossi said inspectors had been blocked from accessing the site since at least June 2025 and that the agency’s estimates are based on production records, declared feed material, and satellite imagery rather than direct verification.
Two hundred kilograms of 60-percent-enriched uranium, if further enriched to 90 percent through a relatively brief cascade run, would be sufficient for multiple nuclear devices, nonproliferation analysts said. Iran has consistently denied that any part of its program is weapons-directed and insists the high-enriched material is intended for research reactor fuel.
For background on what the IAEA can and cannot verify in practice, see our explainer What is the IAEA, and what can it actually do?
Hardline Fracture Inside Iran
The diplomatic deadlock is unfolding against a visible internal rupture in Iran’s political establishment. Saeed Jalili, the former nuclear negotiator who leads the most prominent hardline faction, has accused the team of Foreign Minister Abbas Araghchi of crossing red lines set by Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei — specifically by allowing discussions of enrichment limits to proceed at all in recent sessions, according to Iran International.
Jalili’s faction, which controls a significant bloc in the parliament, has called for Araghchi’s dismissal and demanded the negotiating mandate be withdrawn. The public nature of the criticism is unusual by the standards of Iran’s internal political culture, where factional disputes over nuclear policy have historically been contained within closed-door sessions of the Supreme National Security Council.
If Khamenei is seen to side with the Jalili camp, any interim agreement becomes structurally impossible — the negotiating team would lack the authority to commit Iran to terms even if it wanted to. That scenario would leave the U.S. with the blockade as its primary lever and Iran with no face-saving exit ramp.
Oil Markets: Eighth Straight Session Above $114
Brent crude settled above $114 per barrel for an eighth consecutive session on Tuesday. The International Energy Agency, in an emergency assessment released earlier in the week, called the Hormuz closure the largest supply shock on record — surpassing the 1973 Arab oil embargo in terms of barrels per day affected — according to CNBC.
Roughly 20 to 21 million barrels per day normally transit the Strait. The blockade has redirected some Gulf state exports through Saudi Arabia’s East-West pipeline and the UAE’s Abu Dhabi Crude Oil Pipeline, but those alternative routes have a combined capacity of roughly 7 million barrels per day — leaving a structural shortfall that analysts say cannot be bridged through currently available spare capacity.
For a fuller account of how sustained Hormuz closure moves oil, gold, and defense equities, see What an Iran flare-up does to oil, gold, and defense stocks — the playbook.
The Blockade Timeline
The U.S. naval blockade of the Strait of Hormuz has been in effect since the opening days of the air campaign. Trump’s Tuesday statement was the administration’s clearest public signal yet that the blockade will not be lifted as a goodwill gesture ahead of a deal — it will be lifted only as part of a deal.
That posture has a compounding effect: every additional day of closure deepens the economic damage to Gulf oil exporters, including U.S. partners Saudi Arabia and the UAE, and increases the domestic political pressure on those governments to facilitate a resolution. It also accelerates the timeline for global consumers, particularly in Asia, where refiners dependent on Gulf crude are drawing down strategic reserves.
The broader strategic geography of the closure is covered in What is the Strait of Hormuz?
What Comes Next
The administration has not specified what it means by an “extended” blockade, and White House officials declined to characterize any timeline when pressed by reporters. The May 1 War Powers deadline — day 60 of U.S. military operations under the 1973 statute — adds a domestic legal dimension that could constrain the president’s room to maneuver if congressional opposition solidifies.
Absent a renewed negotiating venue, the near-term trajectory runs between two poles: a unilateral Iranian move to partially reopen the Strait as a de-escalatory gesture, or an escalation of U.S. strikes on facilities that Washington has so far held in reserve. Neither outcome appears imminent as of Tuesday evening.
The Daily Strike
One email. Geopolitics, defense, and the news that moves markets — distilled at 7am ET.
No spam. Unsubscribe in one click.


